Guide to get your career started in a meaningful direction

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
frihet

Guide to get your career started in a meaningful direction

Post by frihet »

Thought this blog post by former hedge fond manger Mikael Syding had some solid advice on how to find meaningful career direction.

"Summary: contact a lot of start-ups and ask them, then study on-line whatever skills they are missing"

Step by step instructions in the blog post.

http://mikaelsyding.com/education-guide/

James_0011

Re: Guide to get your career started in a meaningful direction

Post by James_0011 »

Its easy for him to say not to go for money, when he is a multi millionaire and retired.

frihet

Post by frihet »

That's true James. But I think money will/can come with this strategy also. At least you will be at the forefront of development instead of wasting 5 years in college. You will also learn the skills that are needed by the current market. Not what some outdated professor think you should learn.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

This would seem to apply only to someone interested in tech. I suspect the failure rate with that plan would be similar to that of start-ups in the area.

But I do agree that studying and developing skills are important. To discount proper credentialing for your chosen path is a mistake, though (but see the slyly inserted reference to "formal education" in point 9 -- this type of advice hedging is inserted so that the author is "never wrong"). In the end, not everybody -- and in fact, probably only a minority of people -- are cut out to be entrepreneurs.

I also note that the plan seemed to assume that living expenses were already paid for. OTOH, much of this could be done by an 18-year old just finishing high school while still living at home or by someone already in school in their spare time.

frihet

Post by frihet »

I agree that this path might not be for everybody. But for the smart and entrepreneurial minded out there. Even if you're not an entrepreneur I think the advice to research first what skills are needed and then acquire those skills could be a shortcut.

I guess this mindset could be used in a more traditional fashion as well. I for example would/could apply it by attending the schools below and learn 3D printing .

Because here in Sweden we have a school form called yrkeshögskola "trade college?" that cater directly to the needs of companies and industries and are 1 to 2 years long. These educations just exist when companies are in need of personnel.

https://www.studentum.se/utbildning/yhu ... 20printing

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

@frihet

Doesn't it all change with ere though? I suppose it depends on how extreme you are,but for me ere means finding the highest paid job I can and working as much as possible until I reach FI.

I don't think the author is coming from an ere perspective.

frihet

Post by frihet »

I see ERE more as a philosophy of optionality and self sufficiency. Yes to find the highest paying job and work until FI is one path. The one I myself has chosen.

But to future proof yourself with relevant skills and network to create redundancy. Could, maybe should? also be an integral path?

But personally, i agree, if you need to torture yourself with work. Why not find the highest paying one. But one question arise in me this morning. Is this work torture an idea or a fact?

Another path could be to become a monk. To illustrate another extreme. Just renounce everything, in some orders even your personal will. Then you are instantly free from the clutches of material life. Even though I'm sure the clutches of the internal life doesn't let go so easily.

Many paths that lead to freedom. Pick the one you are comfortable with.