Help me, I have nothing to do

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
reepicheep

Help me, I have nothing to do

Post by reepicheep »

The 30 second version of the last 10 months of my life:

1. Was moved from very stressful job to stressful-in-a-different way but ultimately kinda boring job.
2. Sexually assaulted.
3. Moved from Europe to the states.
4. Unsuccessful suicide attempt.
5. Lost security clearance.
6. Medboard for removal from military in process...I have six months to a year until I get out, probably.
7. Moved to job where I have literally nothing, at all, to do. No tasks. No expectations. No evaluations. No responsibility. I have a computer and government internet access. I can read. I can watch movies if I have the DVD. I will probably be in this position until I get out of the military.
8. When I get out of the military, I would like to go work for PDX trackers, a major wilderness education program in Portland. What can I do while sitting in an office 5 days a week from 0730-1630 to support this goal? What other interesting things can I do with my time?

Dragline

Re: Help me, I have nothing to do

Post by Dragline »

Work on job applications. See if there are any certifications you might need and whether you can get them online.

Read. On things related to your future plans. Or "Man's Search for Meaning" by V. Frankl if you can't think of anything.

Listen to podcasts.

Don't sit all the time if you don't have to. See how many pushups you can do in one day if you do a few every 20 minutes or so. Or some other physical challenge you can do in a small space.

Meditate. Download the "Omvana" app to get started.

AussieGirl

Post by AussieGirl »

Wow,

That is a hugely stressful 10 months. Maybe you could start to articulate a plan on paper on what you want to do and where you want to go. Then do an action list of all the things you could get done to move towards that plan. Then you have the time and resources to start doing research and course etc on that.

I agree too with getting moving. Keep walking. Hang in there.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Wow. I'm happy you're still alive. I agree to move, meditate, find what you want to do next.

I'd add in to please find a therapist you trust, you've been through a lot and having someone who understands emotions backing you can help get through this.

You can learn about nature and the wild life there, you can read, you can find places to volunteer on weekends, you can reach out to people.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Also glad to see that you made it through, reepicheep. I remember you from last year during a meetup in the Netherlands. I hope your life improves a lot over the next couple of years.

Can you join a local club for nature enthusiasts or homesteading people, and go to meetings (in the evenings), perhaps prepare a talk or two for them (during the day) about your favorite subjects? That could be practice for next year onwards (although reality will still be a bit different).

I would indeed also research what other diplomas are valuable for your future career, and see if you could prepare for some of that already by reading at your workplace.

Finally: while I'm sure that there are some financial benefits to just sitting out this period until the medboard has made their decision - are the rewards big enough for the sacrifice of "sitting around and doing nothing"? If the reward isn't that big, perhaps you could consider quitting earlier than that and moving on?

Good luck, dear reepicheep.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

In terms of potentially relevant things to do (PDX trackers) while being stuck in an office but behind a screen with nothing to do:
1) Bird recognition. Memorize the database.
2) Knots, plants, same.
3) There's a giant amount of survival/outdoor/camping vids on youtube.
4) Learn the ukulele (are you allowed to make noise?)

Alternatives:
1) Online courses
2) Writing

The former can be translated into the latter as brochures, laminated cards, etc. which might be usable later on for handing out to students and it will give you a product that exists outside yourself. It's easier to show than tell when it comes to skills. If nothing else, there's a potential online business of sorts.

CS

Post by CS »

Write. See how much money you can make on Amazon self-publishing before you get out. Use the European setting - and a pen name.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Start a rambling routine, and learn to be content with doing nothing for at least part of your day. I go on 2-4 rambles per day. It really breaks everything up. I think 2-4 hours of "work" is plenty. The above suggestions for working are sufficient.

CS

Post by CS »

cmonkey wrote:Start a rambling routine, and learn to be content with doing nothing for at least part of your day. I go on 2-4 rambles per day. It really breaks everything up. I think 2-4 hours of "work" is plenty. The above suggestions for working are sufficient.
What is a ramble, in the context used above?

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Going for a walk. :) I'm reading a British book ATM and he uses that term so it's stuck in my mind.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Won't you have access to lots of online courses? Could do some of that perhaps, pick up a degree or two.