Did I fuck up by not majoring in Computer Science? STEM Vs. Liberal Arts

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
JamesR

Re: Did I fuck up by not majoring in Computer Science? STEM Vs. Liberal Arts

Post by JamesR »

What are/were you studying? I thought you were doing some sort of Geo-related STEM type of thing?

Have you considered Data Science? It's been the hottest growing field the last couple years.

It's not a well defined field, you don't need any specific degree to break into it. The demand is super high, so you can break into it with less educational requirements, and then build that work history & do your career development and never look back. Even if you have a crappy degree, 2-3 years of work experience later, you'll still be able to command a high salary (6 figs in SF).

Generally it doesn't require much more than basic understanding of statistics & just running lots of experiments, analyzing data & reporting to the CEO so that they can make decisions.

If you can pick up some courses that focus on statistics at a minimum, that would help. Also helpful would be a course on SQL/Relational Algebra (easier than you think!), as well as a course or two on Machine Learning (Machine Learning & Statistics heavily overlap, but use different terminology, so if you know one, you know the other.. within reason).

Maybe just aim for a minor in math or physics or economics or statistics or comp sci, and use that minor to get into the STEM field. Ultimately the specific type of degree doesn't really matter, it just comes down to picking up the right skills/experiences to get into whatever field you want.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

FBeyer wrote:I always tell my colleagues about programming: If you aren't stuck on something, you're not working fast enough.(*)

(*) Or just compiling
If you are not breaking things, you are not moving fast enough.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Felipe wrote: I think you dodged a bullet by not doing CS, if it's not in your aptitude, good luck trying to force it and compete with all the enthusiasts who can't wait to binge code all weekend. I'd rather read about FI or hike with friends.
While I can appreciate this sentiment (there are kids with programming skills, enthusiasm that once grown will just completely out-class you in programming ability), it's not the whole story. The freaks are just outliers and otherwise a degree in computing will open up lots of doors, pathways in today's world that don't require you to be a rockstar programmer. As far as enthusiasm goes, of course there should be some component that you enjoy about your career.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

@ Bryan
I agree that a degree in CS opens many doors. A degree, in general, also opens many doors: officer instead enlisted in military, Americorps, PeaceCorps, easier time getting work/promotions, can be a manager at retail stores.

Maybe I have a biased perspective since I live in SV and know quite a few programmers who really can't seem to satiate their coding urges. These guys can be (definitely not all of them are) socially awkward but I have to sit with some admiration for their talent, I'm happy they're going to work for some of the companies I invest in.

On enthusiasm- I think the exhaustion of studying CS is already starting to wear me down. I enjoy some components but I'm slowly getting more anxiety over school and starting to think it's not worth it. Wanting OP to know that he avoided major headaches if he's anything like me, though I've been told I'm good at math and I still struggle there.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Felipe wrote: Maybe I have a biased perspective since I live in SV and know quite a few programmers who really can't seem to satiate their coding urges. These guys can be (definitely not all of them are) socially awkward but I have to sit with some admiration for their talent, I'm happy they're going to work for some of the companies I invest in.
One door that I imagine would open in SV with a computing degree is founding a company but being able to more easily find and bring in that "rockstar" technical co-founder. Basically they would trust you and your assessments more than that MBA from Harvard while on the flip-side you being able to more accurately assess that potential partner's skill or value-add.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

"Re: Did I fuck up by not majoring in Computer Science? STEM Vs. Liberal Arts"

No.

Cornerman

Post by Cornerman »

No, just do what you enjoy and find your way.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

Interesting breakdown of STEM careers:
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2015/articl ... nd-yes.htm

Specifically, "STEM" is a heterogeneous group, and some of the constituent careers presently have horrible prospects (e.g. academia), while others have excellent opportunities because there is a shortage (particularly if you are a US citizen looking at defense fields). In this respect, "STEM" is kind of an unfortunate term in that is connotes some sort of cohesion among these widely varying fields... I'm glad I stumbled upon that article, because I have long felt a dissonance when politicians talk up cranking out more STEM grads as a policy like there is some crazy need, whereas I live the academic science nightmare career prospects on a daily basis. Turns out STEM is 'chunky', and also has a lot of sub-field which evolve cyclically in time.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

I would argue that stem is more "what you are" than "what you do/study"

In highschool when other people were out getting laid or whatever they do, I was in my room reading a chemistry textbook.

It takes a combination of obession and analytical appititude to go into stem.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Starting to feel this way recently about not majoring in engineering. I have the mathematical aptitude, but chose a math major instead which I am beginning to think is pretty useless.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Have you looked at becoming an actuary? They get paid well, great hours, great job prospects. Math required.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

@scott2,

Yes that is looking like it is going to be my plan. I'm attempting to find an internship in product management for a tech company (many of the ads say bachelors in math, cs, economics, or business), but if that doesn't workout I am going to study for the actuarial exams.

Andre900

Post by Andre900 »

Others have already said it - olaz, you didn't enjoy the one CS course you took, so that's a very strong indication that you wouldn't enjoy or be successful at a CS career. If you want to earn a higher salary than a regular liberal arts major, you might see if you have the interest and aptitude in one of the several engineering disciplines, or even consider training for a skilled trade.

I was very mechanically inclined as a child and as a teen; worked on cars and had jobs in an auto repair shop and at Radio Shack. Personal computers weren't widespread in the late '70s, and I had no experience w/ computers or programming when I started community college in 1981. I had thought I wanted to be a police officer, but after one year as a criminal justice major (super easy coursework), I realized I could be a police officer w/ any degree and wanted something more marketable and potentially lucrative, and transferred to a more prestigious 4-year college and switched my major to Computer Science.

I excelled in my CS major and graduated at the top of my class, and was quickly hired by a large tech company at an excellent salary ($35K in 1985!). While I enjoyed studying CS and was a top student, I quickly learned that the day-to-day job of a junior software engineer was a bit of a drag and I was outperformed by many of my peers, but still competent enough to get my job done. After thirteen years with two different companies, I went back to school full-time to earn my MBA. While my 720 GMAT wasn't good enough to get me into my first choice, Stanford, it did get me a nearly full tuition scholarship at a top 40 MBA program.

Earning my MBA got me out of the code-monkey business and opened up many opportunities for different kinds of white collar employment across a broad range of industries; and got me some enhanced on-the-job respect. On the other hand, due to the "Great Recession," a couple of layoffs and blown opportunities, and crushing competition, my salary today is exactly what it was before I started the MBA in 1998, well below six-figures. Nonetheless, due to long-term, relatively low cost of living, high savings rate, low-risk investing, and two serendipitous real estate investments (and a lot of sweat equity), my net worth hit $1 million by age 50.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/educ ... reers.html

don't get fooled, my polyamorous internet friend :----DDDDD

PS.
Last active:Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:52 am
edit:
ehhh... this viewtopic.php?t=6119 is better location for my post.