Prepping for a final interview? Getting there in a suit in one piece? Strategy.

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

Prepping for a final interview? Getting there in a suit in one piece? Strategy.

Post by TopHatFox »

I have a final interview in Springfield this Tues w/ a fancy finance firm. The plan is to depart from Amherst, MA to the Peter Pan Bus bus station in Springfield, then walk ~three miles to the company. I can do that.

I'm thinking strategy. As of now it appears that it will be partly sunny in Springfield on Tues, which means I might simply encounter wet puddles and sweat. I'm trying to determine whether it's reasonable to adventure out from Amherst in the full suit for the 3 miles (wearing hiking boots and carrying fancy shoes in a backpack). It's either that, or possibly donning a change of clothes and changing to the suit near the firm. That plan might literally be bulky to carry.

Other alternatives include busing part of the 3 miles in the suit, opting for Uber, renting a car from Amherst and having a friend drive me to the company (I haven't driven since my driver's license test...)

I should really get to buying that scooter or getting my full license for car renting. Thankfully the area I'm walking through is a nice metropolis/suburban green space.

-------------------------

Another thing I'm wondering is how final interviews are different from first round ones. In this case, it'll be two 30 minute interviews with two individual people. I'll have more info on whether there one will be technical soon. What have your experiences been with first to final interviews, especially if you have finance interview experience? (For context, this interview is for Operations specifically).

BRUTE

Re: Prepping for a final interview? Getting there in a suit in one piece? Strategy.

Post by BRUTE »

zalo should just grab a cab. he can consider it an investment to get the job. stress will be lower, appearance might be more attractive (for reasons mentioned by zalo), and the price for riding a cab 3 miles shouldn't break the bank. maybe $10-20.

there are times to be frugal, and times where it's an investment.

TheWanderingScholar

Re: Prepping for a final interview? Getting there in a suit in one piece? Strategy.

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

BRUTE wrote:zalo should just grab a cab. he can consider it an investment to get the job. stress will be lower, appearance might be more attractive (for reasons mentioned by zalo), and the price for riding a cab 3 miles shouldn't break the bank. maybe $10-20.

there are times to be frugal, and times where it's an investment.

I agree with brute. $20 will save you the trouble, and not break the bank.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

@zalo. Would a fancy finance company not pay the travel expenses for final interview? (So ensure you keep receipts in case). I would suggest you get some form of cab (UK speak: taxi) _to_ the interview and plan to walk back afterwards.

Don't plan to take change of clothes and luggage to carry this. Its extra stress and could attract unnecessary curiosity. You should want to be focused on your interview/presentation/resume and want the same from them. You may have scope to be quirky about travel_after_ you get the job.