How to be a good marketer as a job hunter?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

How to be a good marketer as a job hunter?

Post by TopHatFox »

It seems that finding the nice paying job now requires a personal professional website (out goes the blog on being a professional adventurer :P), linked in, a appropriate Facebook presence (no obscenities), powerful connections, nice clothing, a college degree or even a masters, excellent recommendations, and a powerful interview.

My goodness! That's enough to make me want to hide under the bed! :lol:

How'd you all get your jobs? Are you satisfied with it's in pay/in general? (yeah, I'd prefer to be talking about something else too)
Last edited by TopHatFox on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRUTE

Re: How to be a good marketer as a job hunter?

Post by BRUTE »

that's probably always been the case. connections are what gets humans jobs. the official channels are rarely as effective as a personal recommendation from someone they already trust. this is because humans are social creatures.

brute advises zalo pick his first job not only based on wages, but also how many people he will get to know, and how much experience he will get. after 1-2 years of getting to know many important people and learning a lot, he can then switch to a job that will pay way more. this is the pattern brute has observed.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Focus on the job you want, and plan accordingly.

You don't really need a website unless you're applying for a web design job. Or a Facebook page unless you're applying for a social media job. Keep your attention on the things employers really care about and don't waste your energy on trivial stuff.

Nice clothing is even optional for many gigs. I would intentionally wear nice jeans (and a button-up shirt) to every interview because I wanted design gigs and not stuffy engineering roles. I was marketing myself as "creative", and also figured that if jeans got them worked up I knew I didn't want to work there. But be aware that's region and industry specific -- if you're applying for a banking job in the northeast, a suit is probably a good idea.

Recommendations are valuable to tip the scale. But in my experience when people take the time to call them they already like you, and it's more a formality to make sure they're not buying a lemon. So pick a few good people and don't worry about it.

Focus on a good resume (targeted to the position you're applying for) and practice your interview skills and you'll be in good shape. But the number one thing you should focus on is networking. Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part, and the ones with that skill usually get first consideration. Hiring someone you know is always way easier than sorting through piles of resumes.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

In finance and accounting I've not come across anyone with a personal professional website nor do I check their FB.

Don't worry about that Zalo.

For me the candidates that express a lot of enthusiasm for the job/industry and those that do their research really stand out. Don't be forced about it liek saying "I was reading in your annual report...", who does that? Know the current events in the company and the industry and be able to have a conversation about them.

Your interviewer will most likely love his company and industry and enjoy chatting about it. This is an easy way to connect to them.