Contemplating Cross Country Move

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
cheese

Contemplating Cross Country Move

Post by cheese »

Hello ERE community. I'm currently considering moving across the county (Baltimore, MD->Tri-Cities, WA) for a job and I thought I'd draw on your collective wisdom to help me make the decision. Although the Pacific Northwest is not without its charms (global climate change "winner"?), I'm wondering if I should decline the position and continue my job search in the Mid-Atlantic.

Background:
I was laid off from an engineering job at the end of September. Before this happened I was strongly considering simply quitting as a result of being overwhelmingly frustrated with several aspects of the job (dull/menial work, poor training/mentorship, ineffectual project management, weak compensation, lack of a clear career path/stagnation, etc. etc.) and finding the work unfulfilling in general (see Gervais principle, Office Space, etc.). I recently received a job offer in Washington state doing the same type of work and I'm currently pondering whether or not it would be wise to move across the county to pursue the position.

Pros:
-The compensation package (including an extremely generous relocation allowance) would allow me to continue aggressively pursuing financial independence.
-I'm interested in transitioning to environmental/ecological engineering and it would be an opportunity to join a company that is involved these industries.
-Moving to the opposite coast would be a source of new experiences/adventure, potentially catalyze personal growth, etc.

Cons:
-The thought of moving across the county is stress-inducing and it would be hard for me to leave my friends/family on the East Coast. I'd lack a strong social network (at least initially).
-I'd most likely have to perform drudgework I don't particularly enjoy. I've only been unemployed for ~2 months and don't particularly NEED the job (~10 years of expenses saved).

I'm extremely conflicted at the moment and I'm worried about making the wrong decision. Anyone have insights to share? I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Tyler9000

Re: Contemplating Cross Country Move

Post by Tyler9000 »

That's a tough decision. I've been there!

One thing that helped me was to gameplan the worst case scenario -- we move all the way across the country, only to find that I hated the job. Ultimately, we decided that the new city presented so many more good employment opportunities than the previous one that it was worth the move based on opportunity alone.

Family and friends are always the hardest, as building new relationships is difficult and only gets harder as you get older and people start families. How important that is to you is ultimately your decision.

One more thing to keep in mind is to remind yourself that no move ever has to be permanent. You can always change your mind, or move to an even better city in the future. It's just one decision of many, not a final decision.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

hmm yes tough decision.
I was faced with a similar decision to relocate to a new city for a great job. A city about 1.5 hours by plane and 2 days by car in distance away. In the end I was worried about family and friends connections. But I actually now regret not taking the job. Which sucks as I don't regret too many things. But regret is often hard to forecast. It was a great opportunity and would have boosted my career and status and income by this point. It would have been an awesome building block which I missed out on. I could have also come back really easy after a year or so which seems like nothing now.
So I guess a few things:

- How awesome is this position to your long term plans.
- How does the move fit with ERE (cost of living where your going vs the income)
- Is it likely there would be fun adventures in the place you are going to.
- can you return every so often to see family and friends and also to return long term after a year if you miss them (you will be in the financial position to do so whimsically unlike most).

Personally I think when an opportunity presents itself its often a good idea to seize it. I have gotten better at seizing opportunities in the last couple of years. But I am also thinking - isn't the Mid Atlantic absolutely stacked with big cities and job opportunities? Do you really need to go that far to get an opportunity of this nature?

cheese

Post by cheese »

Tyler9000 wrote:One more thing to keep in mind is to remind yourself that no move ever has to be permanent. You can always change your mind, or move to an even better city in the future. It's just one decision of many, not a final decision.
Exactly! I'm wondering if it is worth dedicating a few years of my life to pursue the experience/adventure. Or if I'm sacrificing my personal happiness in pursuit of financial gain (what @jacob calls paper promises).
thrifty++ wrote:But I am also thinking - isn't the Mid Atlantic absolutely stacked with big cities and job opportunities? Do you really need to go that far to get an opportunity of this nature?
That is a fair assessment, I imagine I'd be able to find something eventually but I don't have a great deal of confidence in my job search abilities (networking, interviewing, etc.). I haven't had much luck in my traditional job search but this job essentially fell on my lap. A bird in the hand and so forth...

Andy Dufresne

Post by Andy Dufresne »

I'd move. Worst case, if you hate everything, you've learned something new and even a year away from family and friends won't kill long-lasting real relationships - it can even strengthen them. In any case, if you get a nice package and only start in Jan 2016 you can UHaul yourself West, which is an awesome adventure in itself and will likely teach you about what you need versus what you want with limited space.

alondra

Post by alondra »

I have moved for opportunities a few times. I understand the stress and uncertainty but it comes with a huge gain in experience. I moved from Chile to Israel when I was 18, then I moved from Israel to Atlanta in 2009 (my husband is from ATL) and last, end of 2013 we moved to Australia and just now contemplating whether to stay here (or move within Australia) in 2016 or move back to the US (ATL, Las Vegas, SLC, NC)

I analyze my/our options based on the financial opportunity as well as the interest we might have in the geographic location. Since I'm married, I/we also consider the options for the partner (opportunities and how rewarding the location would be).

You seem to have the financial aspect clear. I would think about the area and its locations. Does it look appealing and interesting to you or would you rather be somewhere else?
It seems too that you will materially loose very little if you try as you get a relocation package and yet you can get a big move adventure.

The social aspect usually works out given some time if you put effort on getting to know people. Is also nice to have loved ones coming to visit at the new location and show them around to new spots they haven't been. The other thing is that I always have a plan B.

I will consider a not so interesting location for a bit if the financial opportunity was great and worthwhile. I would do the opposite too and settle for a not so great one if I really wanted to relocated to a specific area.

BTW, a big move is a great way to minimize possessions :)

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

alondra wrote:I have moved for opportunities a few times. I understand the stress and uncertainty but it ...

BTW, a big move is a great way to minimize possessions :)
Came here to say this. Make it an opportunity to reflect on all the shit you probably own. First course of action is leave whatever you don't want to bring with you. The other is to unpack your stuff only in the absolutely strict order you need it. After a year or so, toss away everything that still hasn't been unpacked.

I advice reading up on stoicism or konmari before doing either of these things though.