What do you think of universities or colleges soliciting donations from their alumni/ae?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

What do you think of universities or colleges soliciting donations from their alumni/ae?

Post by TopHatFox »

My school, along with thousands of others, employs students during the summer to cold call alumni, requesting donations to their alma matter; it offers the space for reunions to ultimately request donations; and routinely sends formal letters, student letters, and other school marketing to alumni/ae requesting donations.

I'm not sure what to make of this practice. In one vain, it's like a business providing a service one day, so that it may then remind one of that service at a later date, and solicit some if not more money than what the original service was worth. On another vain, some of the funds of alumni/ae are used for equitable purposes, like financial aid, library resources, or club funding.

What do you think of this practice?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: What do you think of universities or colleges asking their alumni/ae for donations?

Post by jacob »

I'd like to see some austerity when it comes to inflated administrator salaries, new office buildings, and sportsball facilities before they ever see one dime from me.

Peanut

Re: What do you think of universities or colleges soliciting donations from their alumni/ae?

Post by Peanut »

I have given to my public alma mater in the past when I was working, but I would NEVER give to my private alma mater, and actually am appalled they solicit money from alumni at all, unless perhaps they were scholarship students.

To be sure, all institutions spend way too much these days on unnecessary frills. But public schools do depend on alumni funds and use some of them wisely. Harvard, not so much.

IlliniDave

Re: What do you think of universities or colleges soliciting donations from their alumni/ae?

Post by IlliniDave »

I don't have any problem with it. At least for traditional not-for-profit colleges/universities. I attended two large public universities that routinely ask for donations. They don't get much from me because their football teams have not had a good season in a long time. ;) (That's a joke).

chenda

Post by chenda »

I'm very much in favour, I'll probably leave some money to my old university, with some stipulation as to how it was used. Universities exist, or should exist, as a public service and, imo, it's a worthy cause.

pka222

Post by pka222 »

I'm somewhat of two minds about it. I mean on one hand the top administrators of my 2 unis make between 1/3 and 1/2 a million- a year-hence no need for donations. On the other hand- the stress and responsibility of the gig would mean that I would not do it with out a similar or higher compensation package.
I support affordable education and the state schools do - so far- provide that- so yes, post FI I would contribute a small amount to them

CelticTiger

Post by CelticTiger »

There must be some money in it if they are willing to employ people to do it. So it seems like a decent revenue raising exericse. It would not work on me.

My brother had a credit card that paid 0.5% cashback on everything he purchased to his university. I think he used it for 2-3 years and then just got a cashback card that he could benefit from. It had a lovely picture of the main campus on the front of it.

It does make me chuckle when business'/universities/colleges pretend they are charities. It tugs on the heartstrings of those who want to do the right thing. If I was wealthy enough to make big donations I'd donate to where it is needed most in some developing country. I'd be like Bill Gates except with a masters degree! and minus the billions and the charity

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

I gave a little bit once.

I went to a public university, and they awarded me extremely generous scholarships. (Amounts in excess of the entire cost of my tuition.)
I graduated with no student loans, and I only worked a very minimal amount while I was in school.

However, their cold-calling got to be extremely annoying, so I no longer donate, and have blocked a whole range of phone numbers. I think they've mostly stopped trying to call me now anyway.

Perhaps some day I'll donate again. I will definitely specify how it should be spent though.

C40

Post by C40 »

It's annoying. Thankfully, I only get mail and not phone calls.

One fraternity from the school sends me stuff. The only thing I had to do with that frat was that two guys I knew and was loose friends with were members. I went to the frat house with them one day to eat lunch. And they've been sending me stuff for 10 years. That went past annoying to comical :-)

GandK

Post by GandK »

Like @jacob, I want to know what the hell someone will do with my money - and approve of their decision - before I give money to them.

I feel the same way about government. And my church, and our local schools, and any charities I work with, unions, political organizations, etc. Basically I won't voluntary give my family's limited resources to any sort of organization that will either squander those resources or use them in a way that's inconsistent with my values.

And as anyone with eyes can see that right now, colleges are spending more on competition for new students than on educating the ones they already have, I would not give any college I'm familiar with a donation at this time, no.