"World Without Work"

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
BRUTE

Re: "World Without Work"

Post by BRUTE »

maybe market-based is like democracy: it sucks, but the known alternatives suck more. thus either stagnation or experimentation are in order.

besides the weird anti-leisure mindset, brute is always amazed how these humans never think of the individual level. they always demand/propose some kind of society-wide overnight mindset shift that would change everything. that never happens.

in fact, the best way to achieve "a world without work" for an individual human is to ERE. very high chance of success for most humans that have the means to worry about this type of thing in the first place. very little dependency on society to succeed. no global mindset shift necessary. yea, it might take 5-15 years. but how long is it going to take to convince 350 million humans that they should completely change their view on work and money and give brute a basic income?

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

BRUTE wrote:maybe market-based is like democracy: it sucks, but the known alternatives suck more.
I'm the last person to defend would-be utopias, but I do think this very common of binary view misses some possibilities. i.e. there are well liked constitutional monarchies, there are probably non-market economies that work too.

I think the problem that Americans in particular have with this is that we want to apply whatever other idea it may be to everything and yes, in a country of this size and diversity that's probably going to suck. Just like the current situation kind of sucks. But, like someone said in another current thread, a smaller regional-based approach to our economies and politics might open up more possibilities. e.g. the Amish approach works for the Amish, but would not likely work for the US as a whole.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

good point. the US is too big for one pattern to work well everywhere.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think the author of the Aeon article makes some valid and valuable points about the economy that would probably seem more novel to the average reader than they do to any member of this forum. However, she fails to look at the situation from a variety of perspectives that might offer more options. For instance, I have been a little bit grouchy lately because a certain super-sized corporation recently changed the terms of its contract with me in such a manner that it might seem like they want me to provide them with something like unto robotic slave labor. However, since it is my practice to regard any person or corporation, no matter how bloated and greedy for dominion, as my equal in the moment of contract formation or dissolution, I am also free to regard such a corporation with pity, since it is generally the case that the harder the Emperor claps his hands and the louder and longer he calls for the dancing girls to spin,spin,spin..., the nearer he must be coming to the twilight of his industrious reign.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Here's an article that might illustrate what I mean by having a different perspective on the market:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/278622

Most people think there are only opportunities to exploit market ignorance (or laziness) at the top of the food chain.

Chad

Post by Chad »

A good article on current globalization.

http://qz.com/854257/brace-yourself-the ... beginning/

I will probably checkout the book.