Do you actually plan on stop working when you can?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
DrSweden

Do you actually plan on stop working when you can?

Post by DrSweden »

I am planning to become FI when I am 40 (10 years from now). I want to be able to provide for my family without a job. However as I feel today I will not quit working. My Father became FI early and stopped working by the age of 55 and in retrospect I think he would be happier working part time (He is a dentist and is now almost 80). I have a job I like but I would be nice to have the option to work or not. I could also work part time, combine travel with work and maybe work as a doctor without borders (also without salary).

How are you planning to do? I can understand that if you have a job you hate or of you have great hobbies you want to work with full time. But just doing nothing all day I believe is just bad for you.

So what are you planning to do when you are FI?

USAF Sgt

Re: Do you actually plan on stop working when you can?

Post by USAF Sgt »

I'm sure I'll come up with projects for myself that may earn money but I don't plan to intentionally earn an income for the sake of earning an income or to occupy myself. I've got plenty of hobbies and interests, I don't need to go to work to occupy myself.

For me, ERE is about living a life that doesn't require (much) money. If that's the life I live, I see no reason to pursue (much) money.

I have never understood the mentality that if one is not employed, one is likely to be found laying around doing nothing. I'll be walking, biking, watching birds, reading, running marathons, taking up woodworking, kayaking, hiking, doing yoga, brewing beer, tending to the garden...I wont have much time to be laying around, unless I choose to.

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

USAF Sgt wrote:I'm sure I'll come up with projects for myself that may earn money but I don't plan to intentionally earn an income for the sake of earning an income or to occupy myself. I've got plenty of hobbies and interests, I don't need to go to work to occupy myself.

For me, ERE is about living a life that doesn't require (much) money. If that's the life I live, I see no reason to pursue (much) money.

I have never understood the mentality that if one is not employed, one is likely to be found laying around doing nothing. I'll be walking, biking, watching birds, reading, running marathons, taking up woodworking, kayaking, hiking, doing yoga, brewing beer, tending to the garden...I wont have much time to be laying around, unless I choose to.
That sounds like a great way of spending your time!

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I probably could argue that I'm FI now, albeit without much margin. I plan to keep working another 5 years to bolster the margin, and am now considering a wrinkle to my plan that might have me working 7 rather than 5.

So I plan to exit my full time professional career sometime after the first moment I can and before I have to. What exactly I'll do once I take that step remains to be seen.

But the plan at the front of my mind today is to split my residence between the Northwoods and my hometown. In the Northwoods I'll be aiming for a simple, work with my hands, somewhat contemplative existence in a rustic setting. The goal is to disentangle myself from the cacophony of connectedness and reconnect with some of the activities that have given me the most joy/satisfaction in life. In my hometown I'll be enjoying the process of reintegrating into my extended and family and living a scaled-back version of a more conventional lifestyle.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

DrSweden wrote:I am planning to become FI when I am 40 (10 years from now). I want to be able to provide for my family without a job. However as I feel today I will not quit working.
There's no set recipe for FI. However, I will say that my view on work and career changed a lot over the last ten years. Perhaps I'll also think differently in another ten.

I plan to take a sabbatical with no pretense of knowing what my path will look like after that. FI for me is the freedom to figure that out as I go without having to plan it all out ahead of time.

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

DrSweden wrote:I am planning to become FI when I am 40 (10 years from now). I want to be able to provide for my family without a job. However as I feel today I will not quit working. My Father became FI early and stopped working by the age of 55 and in retrospect I think he would be happier working part time (He is a dentist and is now almost 80). I have a job I like but I would be nice to have the option to work or not. I could also work part time, combine travel with work and maybe work as a doctor without borders (also without salary).

How are you planning to do? I can understand that if you have a job you hate or of you have great hobbies you want to work with full time. But just doing nothing all day I believe is just bad for you.

So what are you planning to do when you are FI?
you have to search for yourself, what you would like to do in the world and what satisfies you within. you might fine you want to play the violin all day or you might want to be a doctor in which case i would advise looking for something parttime.

from my experience, i found that most people really didnt have a passion in retirement; so you see so many people doing the same things, traveling, volunteering, joining clubs that do an activity they like. i'd say the best thing to do is not commit if you flat out retire and try things that interest you until you find things that you look forward to doing.

Ian

Post by Ian »

My current job, yes. My goal has always been to pursue creative projects, so when I reach FI I will devote myself full time to those. If I could support myself entirely on creative projects (while still saving) I would quit now, but for the time being creative income just gets me there a little faster.

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

I cannot stop working, I may never be able to do so, since my earnings are really into the low range.

However, I see my self as retired :
- Although I have deadlines, I choose the times I work on my projects
- I have chosen to go back to university, and will dedicate part of my next five years to earn a degree I'd love to have.
- I'll continue to work freelance for contractors as an engineer. I can choose my clients, and the projects I'll work on.
- I work at home, in a very quiet area, can walk into the garden, choose to have a day off almost whenever I want.

IMHO, when you do what you love, when you want, retirement is optionnal.

BPA

Post by BPA »

I could conceivably go now, but am sticking around for other reasons. Mainly, I teach at the school my special needs son attends, and he benefits greatly from my being there. He's finishing 10th grade, and I don't think he'd be bullied any more, but it's good for me to keep an eye on him. It's hard to cut class when your mom sees your math teacher 4x a day.

Also, I want to max out my benefits. My son will need braces next year and I need some dental work done which will exceed my current limit for this year. Some of it will wait until next year. I guess I brushed too hard and have caused my gums to recede.

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

Great feedback! I love what I am doing now as a career, however that might not always be the case. When I become FI I can choose to do what I want with my time either is my current job or something different. That is very nice options to have. And to stop working when there is something want to do even more sounds like a good plan. Until then I will grow my interests. At the moment I love to grow vegetables in my garden. I only wish I was allowed to expand more into the lawn.

Rouva

Post by Rouva »

I'm not planning to stop when I reach my goal, but switch to part-time work. I was a caregiver for a family member for five years, and he spent six hours in day care center every weekday. I had plenty of time for myself, but no money since caregiving allowance of 347 euros was all I got. First three months were great. I played all computer games I had saved for "when I have time", visited library twice a week and read whole culture history section and knit socks (38 pairs during first year). But when I had done all things on my list, it wasn't fun any longer. My life started to revolve around caregiving, and some days only person who spoke to me was the corner store cashier saying "Hello" when I left. (Person I'm taking care of couldn't speak.) My friends lived in other part of the country, and groups for caregivers were for old people. I'm worrier by nature, and having too much time and not enough to do wasn't good for me. I started playing worst case scenarios in my mind and was probably bordering light depression by fourth year. Eventually I got a gym membership although it was horrifyingly expensive and started going there like other people go to work. It helped a lot.

The experience taught me that people overestimate the value of free time. Free time is great if you have options to fill it with fun, interesting things. If you have time, but no options, it can become a burden. If the jogging path behind your house is truly your only entertaiment, it loses the charm after few months.

My decision to work part-time after reaching my goal is mostly based on that experience. I want to have money, so I can spend some of it to do things, but I'm realistic about restrictions caregiving puts on my time. Part-time work has been best combination so far.

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

While I am still working (and saving & investing toward reaching FI), I am keeping my expenses down as much as possible. However, when I do "pull the trigger" on retirement, I want to have the ability to spend more money than I am spending now during my "accumulation phase."

So I suppose I will continue working, at least for a little while, when I am already technically FI. I want my standard of living (or, funds available to spend, rather) to be higher than it is now.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I'll almost certainly stop working BEFORE I can. :lol:

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

Much like another poster, I am technically FI now but without much margin for error. I plan on working for a few more years while I am in my prime and my career is growing. In the meantime I will be creating additional streams of retirement income for a 3% withdrawal rate. The plan is to retire by 40. I am 32 now.

We will see how my attitude changes over that time frame, however; I've learned that simply by changing jobs you can leave a bad/toxic/draining work situation and rejuvinate yourself for a year or two. I have a colleague who candidly admitted he generally does the same thing; switch jobs every 2 or so years when the situation becomes intolerable. Many experienced career professionals seem to be following this strategy I've noticed.

Alas, I am coming up on year 2 and although I still like where I work now, I still have my feelers out there.

pka222

Post by pka222 »

Heck yes. I miss my child while I'm at work, I miss hiking and planning awesome meals and gardening. Once I'm FI with a 10% margin of safety - I'm out for sure- no worries at all about being unproductive - I'll be busier than ever- and loving it

dr. doom

Post by dr. doom »

Yes, I will stop working when I am able.

My target is next April in 2015. I'll be exactly 38. I am retiring on my birthday.

I'm currently in my second and final year of OMY syndrome. This is helping me to do a little bit of padding in case of unexpected expenses.

I make a good salary and will miss it a little bit but it is time to leave my industry. I've switched jobs a few times over the career and while it is a good temporary reset, I can't imagine doing it again. I feel a finality to things that I did not feel a year ago. I'm ready to quit.

What will I do?
-I run a small FI blog and I will continue to update it until it's no longer fun.
-I'm a passionate fiction reader and expect to read upwards of 50 hours per week. I used to do this over summer vacations and was very happy.
-I also exercise for at least an hour a day already, even with my fulltime job. I want to double this after retiring. Exercise makes me feel terrific, plus takes up lots of time, plus keeps me healthy.
-Different years I will do different things. One winter I will have a ski pass to a small local mountain and will go 4-5 days a week. Another year I will train for a marathon and complete it (most I've run so far is about 10 miles).
-Some of my friends have offered for me to stay for extended periods. I usually decline offers due to work but will be doing much more visiting.
-My wife wants to spend a summer in portugal, where she grew up. We'll do that.
- I also, in no particular order, paint, play guitar, cook, garden, and play video games. I'm sure some time will be spent on all of those interests.
- Finally and most importantly I will keep my eyes open for new opportunities. If a friend invites me to do something, the answer will always be yes. I may give music lessons on the side or engage in small painting projects. There are always awesome ways to spend time if you are willing to try new things.

Once in a while I worry a little about not having a job to keep me so busy but I remind myself that on the few occasions in my life that I have had a month or two off, it passes way too quickly and I can't believe it's over. I think I will be OK without the job.

kennyaa

Post by kennyaa »

Hi OP I was compelled to reply after seeing your situation somewhat similar to mine. It's very early in my medical career so will be a few years before I start seriously looking at expedition medicine/paid aid work and a few more until I reach FI and can look at things like doctors without borders/volunteering in Africa etc. But I think it's definitely something I will contribute perhaps the majority of my working life to. I speak French and used to enjoy learning languages when I had more time so may try pick up some Arabic over the next few years.

I'm afraid of not wanting to quit my job here in the Western world due to feeling I haven't progressed far enough for my own satisfaction. Despite how much I enjoy/don't enjoy my career I can see it being very difficult to let go due to all the hard work it took to get there. I'm not sure about money, depends how much we have hoarded and invested by the time I start to seriously consider making the jump. I suppose, aid work on and off is a viable option too.

I also have aspirations of retiring to coach my children into Olympic athletes too so :lol:

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

kennyaa wrote:Hi OP I was compelled to reply after seeing your situation somewhat similar to mine. It's very early in my medical career so will be a few years before I start seriously looking at expedition medicine/paid aid work and a few more until I reach FI and can look at things like doctors without borders/volunteering in Africa etc. But I think it's definitely something I will contribute perhaps the majority of my working life to. I speak French and used to enjoy learning languages when I had more time so may try pick up some Arabic over the next few years.

I'm afraid of not wanting to quit my job here in the Western world due to feeling I haven't progressed far enough for my own satisfaction. Despite how much I enjoy/don't enjoy my career I can see it being very difficult to let go due to all the hard work it took to get there. I'm not sure about money, depends how much we have hoarded and invested by the time I start to seriously consider making the jump. I suppose, aid work on and off is a viable option too.

I also have aspirations of retiring to coach my children into Olympic athletes too so :lol:
It sounds like a good plan. It will be nice to have the option to quit/work part time/ pro bono.

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

dr. doom wrote:Yes, I will stop working when I am able.

My target is next April in 2015. I'll be exactly 38. I am retiring on my birthday.

I'm currently in my second and final year of OMY syndrome. This is helping me to do a little bit of padding in case of unexpected expenses.

I make a good salary and will miss it a little bit but it is time to leave my industry. I've switched jobs a few times over the career and while it is a good temporary reset, I can't imagine doing it again. I feel a finality to things that I did not feel a year ago. I'm ready to quit.

What will I do?
-I run a small FI blog and I will continue to update it until it's no longer fun.
-I'm a passionate fiction reader and expect to read upwards of 50 hours per week. I used to do this over summer vacations and was very happy.
-I also exercise for at least an hour a day already, even with my fulltime job. I want to double this after retiring. Exercise makes me feel terrific, plus takes up lots of time, plus keeps me healthy.
-Different years I will do different things. One winter I will have a ski pass to a small local mountain and will go 4-5 days a week. Another year I will train for a marathon and complete it (most I've run so far is about 10 miles).
-Some of my friends have offered for me to stay for extended periods. I usually decline offers due to work but will be doing much more visiting.
-My wife wants to spend a summer in portugal, where she grew up. We'll do that.
- I also, in no particular order, paint, play guitar, cook, garden, and play video games. I'm sure some time will be spent on all of those interests.
- Finally and most importantly I will keep my eyes open for new opportunities. If a friend invites me to do something, the answer will always be yes. I may give music lessons on the side or engage in small painting projects. There are always awesome ways to spend time if you are willing to try new things.

Once in a while I worry a little about not having a job to keep me so busy but I remind myself that on the few occasions in my life that I have had a month or two off, it passes way too quickly and I can't believe it's over. I think I will be OK without the job.
Curious to see if you retired yet or are still experiencing OMY syndrome. I ask because I'm trying to muster the courage to retire by reading the stories of others who have lol.

Personally, my assets have grown large enough that I am FI several times over, and that will only increase as time goes on, however; I spent a lot of time in school and on my own learning skills so that I get paid very well and that wasn't that long ago (been out of school for 6 years). My income has continued to increase even through the recession, getting promoted at each job.

Yes, it is stressful, but although I plan on doing it for another 7 years, it makes it easier knowing I can quit at any time. Well, it makes it harder is some ways too, as I have nowhere near the motivation I used to have. But I figure, as long as I'm getting paid well, and leadership helps remove obstacles from my path, I might as well push on even though I have little motivation. To top it off, I'm going to grad school right now so I would have to work a few years thereafter to make it worth pursuing. Plus it gives me options should I ever want to return to the workforce.

The way I look at it, is there are people living in crummy trailers working crappy minimum wage jobs with split days off riding the bus or some beater car. They have to deal with the stress of not only a crappy job, but also the stress that their lack of money introduces into their lives.

When you're making a six figure income, are a supervisor and can work from home as you see fit, it makes sense to keep doing it even if you don't enjoy it, because it never hurts to have a few hundred extra thousand dollars in the bank/index fund.

walker

Post by walker »

When you're making a six figure income, are a supervisor and can work from home as you see fit, it makes sense to keep doing it even if you don't enjoy it, because it never hurts to have a few hundred extra thousand dollars in the bank/index fund.
@SimpleLife, part of me agrees with this, but only up to a point. Health, relationships, and the chance to do work that makes a real difference are starting to outweigh the utility of extra financial cushion.

That said, I don't ever plan to stop working -- but it will be on projects that interest me, on my own time with plenty of breaks, rather than 60 hours a week as a cog in a big company.