Telecommuting and my Housing Situation

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
mindfulmonk

Telecommuting and my Housing Situation

Post by mindfulmonk »

Hey all,

I'm newly moving to a town 2 hours away from my job to be with my girlfriend. I'm a software developer and my employer said I could telecommute! Woo!

I've always lived in single bedrooms with multiple roommates, but I don't think this is conducive to a good working environment. Roommates can be noisy, unpredictable, and create a distracting environment. (I know, I tried to do an online graduate program and I could NOT focus with my roommates in the house.)

I'm considering either renting an apartment in town (1-1s here go for about $600 a month). Or I'm considering buying a house. (Here's one i found: http://www.trulia.com/property/31113414 ... e-FL-32310)

I'm considering the possibility of getting a 2/2 with a roommate to bring the housing cost down but I'm highly reluctant. Has anyone been in a similar situation before?

dot_com_vet

Re: Telecommuting and my Housing Situation

Post by dot_com_vet »

I'm an occasional telecommuter. You must have an area with zero distractions. I typically convert the dining room table into an office if nobody is home, since it has great views. Otherwise I retreat to a basement office.

I see single offices in buildings rent for < $150/month, with internet and utilities paid. That could be an option.

That house looks reasonable too! I personally don't like roommates unless they're family.

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

I would buy the house if it's in a good area. At that price, even I want to buy several of them! But looking online it seems that is way below the median price for the area. http://www.city-data.com/city/Tallahassee-Florida.html so it makes me wonder what the neighborhood and job market there are like.

Where I live a 55 year old house is 250-350K even in the less desirable neighborhoods. But there are high paying jobs here a fair drive away. How is the job market in Tallahassee?

Seriously though, you'd be building equity instead of making someone else rich. Rents will go up over decades, and while your property taxes and insurance will too, a paid off house will still be far cheaper than an apartment over the long run.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Live with the girl?

I don't think I'd want to live alone and work from home the majority of the time. I'm not a big people person, but that would be too lonely. I'd look into an office (cubical) rental in that case.

I work from home now. When my wife is at work all week, by Thursday or Friday, it can be hard to stay focused, because I'm tired of being alone. I've actually looked into an office rental here. Since we have a shared car, I'd need one by her work. They start at $300 and our schedules would be tied together. I've opted not to so far, but I re-visit the idea every few months. If not for the lease terms, I'd probably give it a try.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Just get a roommate with a 9-5. Problem solved?

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

JohnnyH wrote:Just get a roommate with a 9-5. Problem solved?
I second this. Preferrably someone who works 80 hours a week. Maybe offer to cook meals with left overs for his/her convenience?

mindfulmonk

Post by mindfulmonk »

SimpleLife wrote:I would buy the house if it's in a good area. At that price, even I want to buy several of them! But looking online it seems that is way below the median price for the area. http://www.city-data.com/city/Tallahassee-Florida.html so it makes me wonder what the neighborhood and job market there are like.

Where I live a 55 year old house is 250-350K even in the less desirable neighborhoods. But there are high paying jobs here a fair drive away. How is the job market in Tallahassee?

Seriously though, you'd be building equity instead of making someone else rich. Rents will go up over decades, and while your property taxes and insurance will too, a paid off house will still be far cheaper than an apartment over the long run.
It's not in a bad neighborhood, just a bit outside of town. This city is filled with foreclosures for < 50k. Just check it out on zillow.

I am considering buying one in a semi-decent neighborhood. I mean, I could always rent it out, right?

I've lost more than 25k on a bad investment decision before :p

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

i do did the telecommutting.

i would suggest two things before doing anything drastic like moving and/or buying a place:

1. had a room or part of a room that is free of distractions.
2. commit to working something like 2 hours straight before allowing your self to take breaks or you'll take too many breaks.

and telecommute for at least 6 months before moving/buying a place. it might not be all you think it is.

when i telecommuted, i ended up being to company liason between the company and customers and was out 4 days out of 5 and had almost no free time at home during the work day; the only thing i saved was some gas.

i actually have more free time now working in an office.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

The worst roommate doesn't compare to children. ;)

You need a room that has a closing door for your office. I have always struggled to use my bedroom as an office, but it might work for you.

I have a family member who is a contractor and we actually got the prints to our house out to plan some remodeling to our home for two WFH offices that include features/upgrades for soundproofing this past weekend.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

A room with a deadbolt ($10), a 'Working do not disturb' sign (free) and some great headphones ($80*) and I could telecommute from anything less than a frat house.

*I wear these in very chaotic work environments and get my work done happily (until someone taps me)
http://http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR75 ... B000AJIF4E