Perceptions Test: Do you see the big-picture or the details?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Ego

Perceptions Test: Do you see the big-picture or the details?

Post by Ego »

Do you see the big picture or the details.

Ten minute test...

http://www.labinthewild.org/studies/frame-line/#
Last edited by Ego on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Re: Perceptions Test: Do you see the big-picture or the deta

Post by Ego »

First Task: 100
Second Task: 18

Based on your performance on this test, you are better at perceiving the background. You have a greater appreciation and discretion for the big picture.

Is that a nice way for them to say I suck at seeing the details?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Interesting test.

First task: 64
Second task: 55

Looks like I'm better at perceiving the background as well.

mikew

Post by mikew »

I scored 80 on the first task and much lower on the second (I accidentally closed window, so don't remember now, only that it was less than US and JP averages). Not all the eye opening for me, as I've always known I am more of big picture / intuitive guy -- have always glazed over details of things! (even this test, apparently lol)
Last edited by mikew on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

78 first
60 second

8-)

anomie

Post by anomie »

Based on your performance on this test, you are better at perceiving the background. You have a greater appreciation and discretion for the big picture.

frihet

Post by frihet »

"!Based on your performance on this test, you are better at perceiving the background. You have a greater appreciation and discretion for the big picture."

Feels right to me. I was actually thinking of this just one day back rereading the ERE book. How I happily read and grasp the textual philosophical concepts but then when it comes to the detail of numbers I start to sigh ha ha.

I think this is a great insight to have about oneself for example when it comes to investing. I know that I will never be the one who finds number crunching exiting. Going through annual reports and so on. Although I've tried in the past.

I like to read about macro even though that hasn't helped me in the long run as an investor. So now I'm leaning to the PP because i vibe with the philosophy behind it and its automated nature.

SilverElephant

Post by SilverElephant »

This is interested; I am personally convinced I suck at seeing the big picture unless someone points it out to me. Although I have little trouble seeing it when it's pointed out to me; e.g. the ERE/MMM stuff made absolute perfect sense to me the second I heard it and I had no trouble grasping it, but even though the concept of "staying at a student lifestyle level while earning more has a number of advantages" was vaguely present in my mind, the whole spun-out picture eluded me. I get discouraged when it comes to painting the big picture because I always feel I'm on the wrong track.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I was wondering after I took the test whether or not most ERE types would have the same results (big picture). It appears it may be that way. Probably something to do with personality types?

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

before45

Post by before45 »

Mid-60s for both. I scored slightly better at the first task, which is telling because I actually cheated and measured the lines for the second test! So not only am I worse at details, I'm bad at accurate measurement :-)

C40

Post by C40 »

Relative: 100
Independent: 58

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

@JasonR like the sound of your results ;)

I was expecting to come out as showing that I was more big picture than most but with a tendency to detail too. Depending on which of my colleagues you talk to (and what task they are referring to) one or other view will be held. What I come out with on this test confirms this but its rather a spooky result. (Single test, no conferring or cheating).

79 for first task (so better than the Japanese students - who scored highest for this one)
78 for the second task (so very slightly better than the US students - who scored highest for this)

Their verdict?
'Based on your performance on this test, you are equally competent at perceiving the foreground and the background. You are a holistic person who has a consideration for both the details and the bigger picture.'

If you want to read the article this exercise is based on I found a PDF of this here http://psy.haifa.ac.il/~ep/Students_Pos ... tayama.pdf

What is interesting is that I list my parents as English (father) and Chinese (mother). So as the Western culture favoured one aspect and Eastern another it makes sense that I should be balanced out from both sides?

Nomini

Post by Nomini »

Interesting

100 big picture
69 detail

Between the two, pretty happy with that. I'm just surpised anyone would find it easier to judge absolute size than proportion - that's quite a different way of perceiving things.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I can't get the test to work. Is it a trick test and I'm just not getting it? Or have I graduated from idiot to complete moron??

-------------

Got it. Switched browsers...

60 big picture
56 details

"Based on your performance on this test, you are equally competent at perceiving the foreground and the background. You are a holistic person who has a consideration for both the details and the bigger picture. "

But the score also matters, right? My scores seem low. Does that mean I'm equally incompetent at perceiving the foreground and background?
Last edited by jennypenny on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

@JennyPenny - would not work in IE so I tried in Firefox and it worked then. So switch browser?

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

68 big picture
86 details

Yep, that's me getting lost in the details :)

Joggernot

Post by Joggernot »

Not sure this really has any meaning, but that's what I got.

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

100/72.

SilverElephant

Post by SilverElephant »

I question the ability to extrapolate a pixel-length-judgement-test to actual real-world perception of absolute/relative proportions of situational settings.

After thinking it through, I submit the results of this test can actually be explained to a large extent by a person's ability of processing visual information.