Radiology

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Hottentot

Radiology

Post by Hottentot »

I'm thinking about becoming a technician in radiology.
It's 1.5 years for R$200/month and 6 months of internship. My paycheck now is ~R$900,00 working 40hrs/wk, the new income would be something like R$1300,00, but the biggest thing would be working only 24hrs/wk (i can take 2 jobs if i want).

What do you guys think? Anybody works on the field? What about the exposure?

sshawnn

Re: Radiology

Post by sshawnn »

I think that being a radiology technician is a good job (as long as you want to work in a hospital.) I have worked along side rad techs in the operating room and recovery room often ordering chest X-rays after placing a central venous line or when a collapsed lung is part of a differential diagnosis. I think the variety offered is a positive attribute. A basic tech may work with a stationary machine in a radiology department or go through out the hospital with a mobile machine. An advanced tech may go on to run a CT or MRI machine or navigate other advanced treatments.

Have you been exposed to a health care setting for more than a visit? If not, I encourage you to do some volunteer time or "shadow" a X-ray tech to actually see what you would be doing. As with any position in health care, there are times when conditions are just plain nasty. There is often gut wrenching emotional upheaval that even jaded veterans can't help to be negatively affected by.

You mentioned exposure. Lead armor and distance offer ongoing protection but radiation will not be the only thing you will be exposed to!

As far as the pay I think there is likely a higher ceiling than you mention. IMO there is huge turnover and much opportunity in the average rad department.

Hottentot

Post by Hottentot »

I have a public job in the health department in my city. I basically fix their computers so i'm going to health care settings all the time, but i don't get to see the nasty stuff of the hospitals because i don't do maintenance there, just in the small places.
I'm in proximity with X-ray techs since i work around this environment, i will ask some of them about the working conditions.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

Hottentot wrote:I have a public job in the health department in my city. I basically fix their computers so i'm going to health care settings all the time, but i don't get to see the nasty stuff of the hospitals because i don't do maintenance there, just in the small places.
I'm in proximity with X-ray techs since i work around this environment, i will ask some of them about the working conditions.
The working conditions are akin to cold weather conditioning :) My intent was not to steer you off the idea of being a rad tech but encourage you to at least know some of the ghastly scenes you may be subjected to before you start. Talking with the techs is a great start. There is likely a way for you to get in and shadow them.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

On salary, I recall Hottentot is in Brazil.

Hottentot

Post by Hottentot »

Yes, Brazil here.
The salary is R$1500,00 on the institution that i checked here.

DeMYStiFieD_OMeN

Post by DeMYStiFieD_OMeN »

I went straight into MRI after Xray school and I nearly doubled my salary compared to the salary for an entry level Xray tech. Use xray for a jumping stone to get into CT or MRI. Also, becoming a PACS Administrator pays very well. We're called Technologists by the way, not Technicians.