The gap between intention and reality

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
George the original one

The gap between intention and reality

Post by George the original one »

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/12/07/ ... ide=988944

So the numbers say that 71% of people in the Wells Fargo survey plan to work until they are 80 or die (whichever comes first?). Can't imagine who they surveyed!

The reality is that half of these people will be retired by age 67, whether they are ready or not.

1taskaday

Re: The gap between intention and reality

Post by 1taskaday »

If I was on the "work till I'm 80 retirement plan",I think I would switch to the "Die First"one.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

On a related note, after age 35-40 your biological age is unrelated to your chronological age and median longevity (at least for the semi-rich) is still increasing albeit with a ceiling around 120 years, so maybe ...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I never understand why it's mentally and emotionally easier for people to accept working until they drop instead of giving up cable TV and restaurant meals. I'm not trying to be snarky. I truly don't understand.

fuyu

Post by fuyu »

Maybe its other non-financial reasons too? I know my mom can afford to retire today (seen her bank statements and tax returns, she's been spending 15% of her income for several years), but she refuses to stop working.