Team Tree House - any experiences?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Sigmund

Team Tree House - any experiences?

Post by Sigmund »

Hi guys,

Mr Money Moustache endorsed in a way Team Tree House for providing marketable IT education for a song. Does anyone have experience with them? Are the skills taught there really useful for getting a freelance gig now and then?

S.

theanimal

Re: Team Tree House - any experiences?

Post by theanimal »

I did it for a month...the reason I quit is because it costs $25 a month and from what I heard the same/similar services are offered for free on sites like Codeacademy.com etc.

The lessons were just videos of someone lecturing and demonstrating the work followed by mini quizzes at the end of each section. It was helpful, but when I start attempting to develop my code skills further, I will go with one of the free sites.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

There's some CA operation promising marketable skills within several weeks at a rather steep rate (but since it's only some weeks, it ain't bad). We talked about it before here. Anyone remember who that is? (Maybe it's TTH?!)

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

Yes, I did TTH for a month.

I had near zero previous IT/CS formal training or classwork. It worked well from a ground up approach and someone with previous experience with programming would likely sail through the introductory portions I completed. Yes, I could see the the website building skills taught there could be used for profit.

When I would get stumped on a particular piece, the administrators were prompt and helpful which decreased my frustration and aided learning.

I also used duolingo spanish. I think it is the same company and is a similar format. Duolingo is free.

Sigmund

Post by Sigmund »

sshawnn wrote:Yes, I did TTH for a month.
why only a month? Was it so easy and quick to complete, or just not worth the money?
TTH tries to sell a year long subscription with a discount.

Are there good alternatives to TTH for Wordpress programming? (lynda?)

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I only did it for a month mainly as a facet of my evolving interest. At the time, I was considering quickly getting a webpage up and going to do business. When that opportunity went away I stopped the TTH. I think the education was good but I did not have enough time to devote to it to learn what I needed in a month.

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

Been considering it as a way to brush up on some programming languages I don't use much. Interested to hear if you do try it out, how it goes.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jacob wrote:There's some CA operation promising marketable skills within several weeks at a rather steep rate (but since it's only some weeks, it ain't bad). We talked about it before here. Anyone remember who that is? (Maybe it's TTH?!)
I'm fairly certain this is it. I am interested in it, but not the $12k price. Plus, I don't want to quit my current job without another one for the 9 week course.
http://devbootcamp.com/

Article on it in Wired magazine.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/20 ... ned-coder/

pete

Post by pete »

I did Treehouse for a month. I finished the first Wordpress option and half of the PHP (also the HTML and most of the CSS). I soon realized I needed more of a basic intro. I cancelled out, and got two intro books on each subject (the for Dummies and one competitor each). After I finish them, and feel I understand them, I plan to enroll at Treehouse for another month to take/finish any WordPress, PHP, and eCommerce segments they offer. The reason is to take their quizzes; you can't look for the answers in the back of the book