Milestone

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
EdithKeeler

Milestone

Post by EdithKeeler »

I hit a milestone yesterday, and just felt the need to share with people who will understand. My retirement account hit "the number" yesterday. For me, "the number" is the amount it will take to generate the required income in retirement that equals my monthly expenses I anticipate in retirement, less my Social Security, less my anticipated pension if I were to quit tomorrow.

Why am I posting this in Work and Education rather than Money? Because I just realized that I can now walk away when I want to, do something else for less money, and not have the crushing money problems that I've watched my mother have in her retirement, crushing money issues that have kept me slogging away on a treadmill of a job I've lost all enthusiasm for.

I'm not quite ready to walk away just yet, because I'm putting some things into place for the next phase of my life (my "early Semi-retirement") but knowing that I CAN walk away, or knowing that if I were to get laid off tomorrow, and I'm still in good shape for an official retirement that's still 20 years away, is AWESOME, and freeing.

Edith

jennypenny

Re: Milestone

Post by jennypenny »

Congratulations. I wonder if your attitude towards your current job will change now that you aren't chained to it.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Congratulations. I wonder if your attitude towards your current job will change now that you aren't chained to it.

It probably will. Even more so if they let me quit going to meetings, and let me leave the office when I'm done with my work for the day....

GandK

Post by GandK »

Woohoo! Congratulations, Edith! :D

wizards

Post by wizards »

Job well done - congratulations :)

Please keep us informed about your next phases in life!

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Good for you!

C40

Post by C40 »