Quickest Way to Apply for a Job

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
brookline

Quickest Way to Apply for a Job

Post by brookline »

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding the fastest way to apply for a job. I see 2 ways to do this:
1. Apply via LinkedIn or Indeed. You can just do a cover letter and/or resume and see if there is interest from the employer. This is quick.
2. Apply via the employer's website. This can involve a long slog through a poorly designed, crash-prone employment portal and in some cases 3-4 hours of work for a job where the employer ultimately may just screen you out via skill scan. The only advantage that I see of applying this way is that it shows the employer that you're serious and not just spamming out resumes for every job opening on the web.
Thinking strategically, which way is better? I'm wondering if a 2-tiered system makes sense. I could do employment applications through the employer's website and endure the time lost for jobs that I really want and maybe just pop out a resume for less interesting jobs via LinkedIn. What do people think?

unemployable

Re: Quickest Way to Apply for a Job

Post by unemployable »

They usually have to pay to post something on a job site. So if they're actually looking to hire and not screw around, probably that.

That said, consider what job-searching advice from someone whose handle is "unemployable" is actually worth.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Honestly dude, I don’t know anymore. I think the best bet is just to have an in demand skill and put a bunch of relevant key words in your Linked In bio. Your bio needs to be in the top 20%. Then wait for recruiters to reach out to YOU.

What did you major in?

Frita

Post by Frita »

What is your end game (i.e., apply for x number of jobs to maintain benefits/keep someone off your back; get a job, be it survival until someone better comes along or something as permanent as things can be these days)?

brookline

Post by brookline »

TopHatFox wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:25 pm
Honestly dude, I don’t know anymore. I think the best bet is just to have an in demand skill and put a bunch of relevant key words in your Linked In bio. Your bio needs to be in the top 20%. Then wait for recruiters to reach out to YOU.

What did you major in?
I majored in English and am seeking work as a proposal writer.

brookline

Post by brookline »

Frita wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:08 am
What is your end game (i.e., apply for x number of jobs to maintain benefits/keep someone off your back; get a job, be it survival until someone better comes along or something as permanent as things can be these days)?
I'd like something permanent with advancement possibilities. However, my current job runs out of funding end of November so I'm becoming increasinly flexible in what I'm applying for.

brookline

Post by brookline »

TopHatFox wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:25 pm

What did you major in?
How do I measure the "top 20%" you reference?

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

In tech, I have had luck replying to recruiters, doing the 15 min phone interview. That usually nets me interviews with the companies. The harder part is filtering by salary, benefits, type of work. I’m often turning down the invitations.

LinkedIn instant apply and indeed instant apply, only last 24 hours, works pretty well. I can get 10% invitation rate on those, so 2-3 interviews/week.

I only consider company website applications if it’s something specific I’m targeting e.g. FAANG.

The person looking at your application may take 5 seconds looking at your resume. I think taking 15-20 minutes to fill out their website application is a little too one sided for my tastes. Spam quick applies / recruiters, only truly consider the job after they reach out first.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

With English or any other liberal arts degree, you’re pretty f’ed as far as conventional employment in 2021. I’d recommend starting your own copy writing business. Make YT videos or podcasts about your amazing writing projects, then sell companies or individuals on what to write about on their website, social media, resumes, and so on. One of my friends did this and he’s making a living. You could also do a coding bootcamp, study a trade, go back to school for a degree with a clear job type at the end, or join the military with a skilled-civilian job title at the end.

Curious, did you attend a fancy school with connections?

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Also coming from tech. So, easy mode. I am getting around 10 recruiters hitting me on LinkedIn a week. Unfortunately it is all for full time work. My profile isn't great (top 1/3 or so), but I've put some of the large blocks in place.

I would invest your time on an inbound networking strategy. You can find books that explain how to do this on LinkedIn. Iteratively build up your online portfolio, until recruiters start coming for you. This should be supplemented with some sort of portfolio site and / or external proof of competence. It's possible you have some niche specific sites recruiters use, beyond LinkedIn.

LinkedIn can give you a crude proxy of your inbound networking effectiveness via their SSI score.

If you are submitting resumes, be sure you have run it through an applicant tracking system and understand how your keyword loading compares to the target position. When it is so easy to apply, companies have 100's of applications. A computer does the initial screen.

At the point in time a recruiter is bringing your name in for the position, the hiring team is looking for reasons to say yes. Unless it is via word of mouth referrals, I don't think you get past the online application process without playing these games.

Frita

Post by Frita »

brookline wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:16 pm
I'd like something permanent with advancement possibilities. However, my current job runs out of funding end of November so I'm becoming increasinly flexible in what I'm applying for.
You mentioned upthread that your degree is in English. Whatever you do, avoid getting desperate, ignoring red flags, and getting into an undesirable next situation. Do you have any family, current work, or alumni association connections that can help?

brookline

Post by brookline »

Frita wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:25 am
You mentioned up thread that your degree is in English. Whatever you do, avoid getting desperate, ignoring red flags, and getting into an undesirable next situation. Do you have any family, current work, or alumni association connections that can help?
That is all good advice. I'm working on building a network in commercial proposal writing but that will take time. I've previously been (and still am) a nonprofit grant writer and am attempting to make a mini-career change and transition out of grantwriting.