working two jobs

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Viktor K

working two jobs

Post by Viktor K »

Interesting article... https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/these- ... 1628866529

Has a paywall. All of these paywalls I've run into are simply hidden by minor CSS properties or an HTML overlay by the way.

Basically tech workers and other WFH-ers taking two jobs, slacking at both, to cash two paychecks.

Those of you that WFH, where do you fall on the
- more freetime than before
- working more than before
spectrum?

The more proficient I've got at my job (software), the more free-time I've found. Most of my deliverables can be done in a few hours each week.

What about those that you report to, or those of you that have direct reports? How do you / how do you think they would see this?

I've been considering a switch to a higher paying job, but often the work life balance seems to way way less. Maybe doubling salary at a second chill job would be more efficient?

A legal point-of-view weighs in, in the article, claiming that legal consequences are unlikely. Mostly risking your income/reputation.

One correspondent even aimed to cash two paternity leaves at once, one from each of the two companies they worked for.

If legally you're not concerned, do some of you all have ethical concerns about this?

Any other concerns? Would anyone of you consider doing this? Or are any of you already doing this?

chenda

Re: working two jobs

Post by chenda »

I got my part time 20 hrs a week office job down to a de facto 10 hrs working from home. I have considered going back to a nominal full time contract for a full time salary for part time hours.
Last edited by chenda on Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I already earn way more than I need by working one job, if I ever managed to reduce working hours I’d just enjoy the extra free time rather than find creative ways to get back to a 9-7 routine

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Alternatively you could start a business, trade stocks, write a novel, learn a language, take a class, or any one of a dozen of productive things.

Jean

Post by Jean »

It look like money is being given away for free thén, so i'de rather invest thé extra Time into building résiliency against inflation

mouseyo22

Post by mouseyo22 »

I plan to work two jobs. One job is part time as a retail pharmacy tech but they've assigned me 45 hr next week. I think it will vary between 18-45 hr. The other job will be at a drug rehab center and I plan to work there 16-24 hr a week. So the minimum I would work is 34 hr and the max is 69 hr. It's not about the money for me but the experience. These jobs are both paying me minimum wages in CA.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I did this for about 5-6 months. Backstory was a former coworker/friend was leading a startup backed by a bigger company and wanted me to join. I did so but was worried it might fold (they wanted to do an ICO or Initial Coin Offering back when that was hot). I was skeptical but said I'd do it if I could stick with the day job for a bit too. Did both for about 5 months, told the day job I was quitting and then found out the startup was shutting down so walked it back and stuck with the day job at same employer for a while longer.

I did like putting an extra ~5 months of contracting money into investments (more securities). It worked because the day job was the slowest job I'd ever worked (really drove me up the wall) and it felt like I was purely a resource with one function at that company. So I was able to do both jobs. But it was a lot of focus/effort and I started to burn out towards the end so that was why I was going to quit and go back to one job.

Would I do it again? For a little while, yes. But it was about 80 hours/week and I wouldn't try to do that long term. Tricky bits were juggling meetings and onsite visits (not a problem these days). But it was also hard mentally just because it was tiring and took up a lot of time. I would definitely instead do 5-20 hours of contract work per week for quite a while with the understanding of flexibility/moonlighting/etc.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

My current job lives rent-free in my head so I couldn't imagine two...I'm swimming upstream though in a culture that is up-or-out but I think that last bit just might be my burnout.

I wound not try two jobs...don't have a reason to these days but if I was starting back from square one financially I probably would suck it up and try something more extreme like that.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

I currently wfh and it's elongating my work life as the in-office experience is less than desirable. If I had to install a mouse moving program to prove I was at my desk 40+ hours a week, it might be different. I recently tried a second job (exploratory position with high real option value), but took more time and energy than main job, had to disclose all working arrangements, potential conflicts of interest and just did it for a few months (too tedious).

In the US, state employment laws vary so much that it would be nearly impossible to make a blanket statement about the legality of having multiple jobs in more than just one state. Personally, I disclose everything, even if not required. I've almost always had two jobs, but the second was usually a hobby job, work at a golf course 5-10 hours a week, play free golf, work at bike shop, get parts at cost, a hobby job that either pays for the hobby or for a social fund, something like this.

Those who can easily find second professional jobs are most likely underpaid at their current employer and would probably be better off finding higher pay somewhere else rather than juggling multiple positions in secret. I've been a career job-hopper and spent more time developing my skills than greasing the wheels of corporate hierarchy and has worked out well for the last 20-ish years. It can also be quite wise to always be looking for a job as one can't control many aspects of their employment status.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Last edited by Viktor K on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

If you are going to work that hard, why not do the LeetCode big tech grind?

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Man, that's so close. Did you play the practice interview game too?

I've been observing the culture a little on blind, primarily out of curiosity. I have friends who are IMO working for too little, and so it's fascinating to see what could be. I am toying with code challenges as hobby. So far (very early, like 20 into code signal arcade), they are cheap amusement. I am almost 20 years removed from my CS degree, so there is ramp up required.

Does the tech work feel like a pure trade of time for money to you?

I'd see having one more challenging job as an investment in personal growth. You have to learn (or get luckier) to earn it. You develop from collaborating with others who could meet the high standard. You gain the perspective of a seat behind the curtain. You permanently keep a network of high earners to draw upon, even when you move on to other things. If FIRE plans change, you operate from a position of status and strength.

Something I am finding with FIRE - certain backgrounds are much more compatible with both picking up a little work and being an interesting person. In hindsight, I would have paid more attention to the reputation of my employer and the broader applicability of my work. I also undervalued the importance of quality experiences during accumulation. I was largely transactional in my strategy. As a result, I missed good things and underappreciated very positive work relationships. So, I have some bias.

Two jobs could quickly yield a non-complementary web of goals. And there's the ~40% hit to your incremental income from taxes, medicare, social security, etc. At that point, IMO - more than money needs to be on the table. Try and find out seems like a reasonable path forward, but I'd be nervous about excitement over money (greed? insecurity?) locking me into a bad time.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

A positive relationship with a boss is worth 2x-5x the base salary. I am a career job-hoper and yet never left a position with a positive boss relationship that I still stay in contact with. My last two (and current) job-hoping motivation are due to resignation of boss and replacement of unknown/lesser quality supervisor.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

40% is the rough rule of thumb I used while working, for taxes on an incremental dollar. When another $1000 is really only $600, the money becomes less compelling.

Looking more closely - Texas doesn't have a state income tax, you will be filling out the 24% federal bracket, and (next year anyway) you'll max out social security contributions. 30% is a better approximation of the cut I'd expect on your incremental $120k, which lines up well with your $150k take home estimate.

When I worked at an agency, we had to track billable hours. You are doing well when a full time employee can bill 75% of their week. I think you can keep the companies happy. I more wonder about your quality of life.

For me - work relationships provided an easy way to collaborate and bond with very capable people. Stress brings people together. A ton of hiring energy went into filtering that pool. Someone else would regularly setup social events. Because it had always been present, I largely took it for granted. In hindsight, the social situation was good. Activities covered a broad range - hitting the bar together all the way to a couple resort trips. They are what I remember most fondly.

I always looked down on the idea that someone would make work their life. I'm not so harsh on that anymore. It makes a lot of sense when trying to build a complementary web of goals.

Now that I am removed, I better see that high caliber people are busy - primarily with careers and kids. It's not really practical for them to divert energy into tangential relationships. I have a few relationships that I kept, but I'm lucky if we can visit once in a month. Compared to the daily, intense interactions - it's a big shift.

I would say that may be different in the sub-30 age group. It's when kids and the big jobs hit, that things really change.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Viktor K wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:59 am
For taxes, I got $66k take home at current $85k salary, $150k takehome with two jobs. So what am I missing? Is it calculated differently if it's two jobs paying rather than 1? I assumed it was just total taxable income.
If you're single you're right around the level where most of the phaseouts kick in. This is mostly a concern if you itemize or have substantial income from other sources. You're already too high to contribute directly to a Roth IRA, although you can always backdoor. Also both jobs will probably withhold for Social Security as if each were your only job so you'll specifically have to take a credit for the amount withheld over the limit.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Instead of continuing to sidetrack this thread: viewtopic.php?t=12159

Thought I would add another reminder why you should give zero fucks and not feel guilty or “cheating” about working two jobs.

“Boss” complained today that files in progress were being saved locally instead of on share drive. Explanation provided: working off share drive is slow as shit, file keeps freezing. “Boss” further complains: What if you get hit by a bus tomorrow? This refrain repeated many times in past by different “bosses.” Just a reminder that you could die tomorrow and the job description would get posted before the obituary.

I won’t delete my posts because I give zero fucks.

GandK

Post by GandK »

When I worked from home, I did manage to do more work in less time. BUT. I found that the ability of my home to refresh me became less and less when work began to invade it. Might have been psychological, but I was "always on" at home in a way I hadn't been before. It sucked.

When I was given the opportunity to work 100% from the office again, I took it. My boss and I finally settled on a schedule where most weeks I worked Saturdays in the office instead of Wednesdays, so I gained serious productivity and time to think. She eventually thanked me for my ingenuity in solving my own problem.