"Performance" clothing for avoiding ironing and other stupid things

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Stahlmann

"Performance" clothing for avoiding ironing and other stupid things

Post by Stahlmann »

it seems work environment is some kind (stupid) game

for (so called) white collar jobs outfits seems to play important role.

I would hate adding anything extra in terms of my time to "conform social norms" (like ironing, proper storage taking care of material things I don't necessarily value)

anyway, people tend to rate me in 54 ms after meeting. this sucks.

how about Ministry of Supply solution? or some "xiaomi" version -> Uniqlo?

Alphaville

Re: "Performance" clothing for avoiding ironing and other stupid things

Post by Alphaville »

I like merino wool for easy drying and resistance to stench in the shirt department (but I wear tshirts).

They make polo shirts from it if you’re aiming for a normie look though.

They’re generally pricey but amortize well with repeat use and infrequent wash/dry plus space saving.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Work is a stupid game, I agree.

For a "fancier" business casual look I like polyester dress pants from the thrift store. They don't need to be ironed even when I I hang them on the line to dry and they last forever. Don't get khakis, they need ironing.

Combine them with new dress shirts that are advertised as no ironing needed. You should be able to get these for about $20 each or less at department stores. If you run them in the dryer after washing they should come out with no ironing needed. Buy solid colors so if you have pants with stripes every shirt matches with every pair of pants. You might be able to find the shirts at the thrift store but it is likely they will be worn, odd colors/patterns, and not wrinkle free. My experience with high end dress shirts is that they need more maintenance to look good. I think the makers expect you to get them pressed. Stick with the cheaper brands.

Combine the shirts and pants with a decent pair of dress shoes and only wear them in the office. Super cheap shoes don't last all that long but ones with decent quality leather soles last many years if you don't take them outside. The $75 to $125 price point is probably good.

Wallstreetplayboys has some decent articles about how to look good in the office on a budget (not an ERE budget though ;) ).

What are your coworkers wearing? Are you sure you need to dress up? Many offices now are jeans and polo if you aren't customer facing.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

If you want to play the game, you have to do it by the rules.
So if you’re out of white collar, do what you please, but if you want a white collar job (and its salary, perks, etc) you better follow the unwritten rules (assuming your goal is to be somewhat successful at it).

A good shirt that is non iron and very decent quality is brooks brothers. On sale you can buy three for $150 aond they last long. Get the striped ones as they have better fabric for some reason (I know some insiders).

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat »

I wear cotton dress shirts and I do not iron them (anymore). If you dry them on a coathanger and remove the worst wrinkels by hand (before drying) I find there is no need for ironing.