Emma, office worker of the future

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
EdithKeeler

Emma, office worker of the future

Post by EdithKeeler »

Saw this today, and I’m afraid I saw a bit of myself in her dead, red eyes and pasty skin:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpo ... 0f5c06/amp

Kind of timely for me, too, as I’ve been reading “Dying for. a Paycheck,” by Jeffery Pfeffer. And working longer and longer hours sitting at a desk.

We are simply not made to sit on out butts all day in cubicles. I am currently planning my next job phase, and I definitely want something where I’m up and moving around more.

flying_pan

Re: Emma, office worker of the future

Post by flying_pan »

It reminded me of myself, but not because of the job, rather than my gaming phase (long time gone). I looked sort of like that, and my eyesight was decreasing so I had to crook even more to see the screen, lol.

But I actually solved this problem for myself. I work sitting in front of the computer the whole day, but what saved my is my love for walking, and the fact that I am used to not having a lunch. Basically, instead of the lunch, I simply go for ~1 hour walk. I just walk around alone, so that nothing bothers me, and it is great. Surprising how far you can get in 1 hour and back :)

So, even at your current place you probably can do something. Something silly, like go to a farther bathroom is a good place to start. If you can get outside, even better! And you can try to eat lightly and use the time to walk around.

---

Speaking of the topic, though, I don't think it is anything new. More traditional jobs where you stand all day are not better for us (they might be not bad for the posture, but your joints will be shot), or something where you have very hard laborious conditions. I guess it is just a sign of modern age =\

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

chenda

Post by chenda »

People with forward head posture really annoy me. I just want to nail them flat against a wall until they get it right.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

I like how they made it a girl. You've come a long way, baby!

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

flying_pan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:18 am
It reminded me of myself, but not because of the job, rather than my gaming phase (long time gone). I looked sort of like that, and my eyesight was decreasing so I had to crook even more to see the screen, lol.

But I actually solved this problem for myself. I work sitting in front of the computer the whole day, but what saved my is my love for walking, and the fact that I am used to not having a lunch. Basically, instead of the lunch, I simply go for ~1 hour walk. I just walk around alone, so that nothing bothers me, and it is great. Surprising how far you can get in 1 hour and back :)

So, even at your current place you probably can do something. Something silly, like go to a farther bathroom is a good place to start. If you can get outside, even better! And you can try to eat lightly and use the time to walk around.

---

Speaking of the topic, though, I don't think it is anything new. More traditional jobs where you stand all day are not better for us (they might be not bad for the posture, but your joints will be shot), or something where you have very hard laborious conditions. I guess it is just a sign of modern age =\
+1 on everything in bold. I also pick the parking spot the furthest from the building.