The New Migrant Work

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
7Wannabe5

The New Migrant Work

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Since I have a sick need for variety, I have been playing around with some new gig economy apps, and I have discovered that you can now pick up day labor jobs based on your current location. Substitute teaching is my "easy" and always available default, so I haven't experimented with other offerings, besides a couple weeks of doing grocery delivery, but some of the possibilities that have popped up on my apps recently have been:

1) Cleaning after hours at major metropolitan zoo.
2) Assembling carts at airport facility.
3) Selling concessions at stadium children's entertainment event.
4) Merchandising soft drinks.

Most of these gigs seem to pay in the $13-$15/hr range and offer opportunities in 8 hour day units. You just have to register on apps and pass basic background check. Then you just swipe to pick up job, show up at designated location, and get paid within a few days through direct deposit. I am posting this because it seems like it might be a good option for somebody who was young and fit, wanted to do some minimalist cross-country travel and not dip too much into savings. Different apps seem to have more or fewer gigs available in different regions, so having a few to play with would probably be ideal. Also might appeal to those who, like me, are curious enough to crave one day access to all sorts of different facilities.

2Birds1Stone

Re: The New Migrant Work

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Could you please share a list of the apps you recommend? I recently found myself with a lot of free time, and this seems very interesting.

Thank you :)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Wonolo, Snagajob (under shift work), and Shiftgig are a few of the possibilities. I have not yet investigated, but I am willing to bet that some of the old school temp agencies like Kelly may be offering similar options. I am going to attempt to sign up with Kelly to catch some snowbird substitute teaching opportunities in warmer locations.

I recently had an amusing conversation with some alternative high school students on the topic of picking up gigs. One of the teenagers was trying very hard to explain to his friend that it was normal for nobody to be available to train you when you show up in the modern work place. He said "I have only been there 3 weeks, and I had to be the one to figure out how to empty the trucks." Welcome to the brave new world of lowest unemployment rate in 50 years :lol: They were both in the process of flipping out of this job and into a new one doing holiday retail work, instead of focusing on their science homework in the study hall I was nominally monitoring :roll:

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Is Amazon's mechanical trunk still around?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Yes, https://www.mturk.com/worker

However, according to random internet article, https://thehustle.co/making-money-on-am ... ical-turk/ , some optimization is required nowadays.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

@7w5, what happened to your studies to do data analysis work? Not trying to attack, just curious.

C40

Post by C40 »

Are any of these done - ahem - without income reporting?

Asking for a friend who likes to control both their taxes on work and their gross income for ACA subsidy reasons.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Apparently electric scooter charging is a pretty lucrative gig if you have units near you. These seem to be primarily in urban areas, near universities. See, for example: https://financialpanther.com/bird-charger/

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@GdeP:

Complete Data Science Certificate is still on my list of 500 100-Hour Micro-Masteries to be Achieved with Remaining Hours of Life-Energy. After I complete the certificate, I might also add a data science project to my list. I would like to monetize this skill, but I find spectre of full-time employment anti-motivational even if likely to be quite lucrative.