Working hours

Hacking employment, improving work, professional development
Seppia

Re: Working hours

Post by Seppia » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Augustus wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:41 pm
Personally I think it would be preferable to work full time for a few months, then take the rest of the year off.
That would be my preference too, but it looks harder to implement on a practical level unless it is one of those minimum wage jobs.
The issue with those is that in most cases I can think of I’d be probably bored to death (ie to use a stereotype: I love cooking but I’d die flipping burgers, too repetitive)

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:13 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:15 pm
Yes, I do. Unfortunately I did not realize it until I reached a level in which it's importance became abundantly clear. I have a couple of very non inventive attempts percolating. Any suggestions?
My god so many. I have to keep a list of them as so many come up from time to time. Part of the reason I think also of ditching my by the hour side hustle too, for more entrepreneurial possibilities. I guess for one, an easy place to start is your existing skill set. Can you segue off that? What is what I have done with my consulting. Then other things. My god so many. Just off the top of my head... personal trainer at the gym, massage (friend does this for $100 cash per hour), writing for magazines and newspapers, developing websites, blogging, if you are in the USA you can get huge tips working in restaurants, drop selling products online. God there are really just so many options. That's just a blurt without me thinking.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:28 am

Seppia wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:26 pm
So far nursing and computer programming seem promising, I'm sure there are more. CL seems to be doing fixed length contracts for nursing already.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:25 am

Programming is definitely out for me, I have zero talent for everything that is related to IT. Nursing could be a good idea, thanks

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am

Seppia wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:25 am
Pretty sure I'll be pursuing a nursing degree after I semiRE, definitely fits my web of goals. Just need my kid to grow up a little so I can work night shifts for a year without messing up my family life, ugh.

Will probably also try out substitute teaching for a lark, who knows? I might like it!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 pm

FYI. It's not just nursing. Pretty much any technical medical specialty has contract work. Think respiratory therapy, physical and occupation therapy, Rad tech, even CNA's. Some of these have less educational requirements for licensure, some have more. 13 weeks seems to be the preferred length of most contracts, often people renew.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:20 am

Thanks Augustus and C_L
I’ll look if that applies to here in Europe as well, could be a great idea.

Crazylemon

Post by Crazylemon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:29 am

CL is Exactly right and certainly also true of the UK. Although there is a preference for full timers most places are so short if you push you can pretty much dictate terms if you don't mind where you do it. Or, work agency and DIY it.

I have plenty of colleagues who have done at least a few years of 6 months on/off (normally work long enough to take the desired holiday rather than a fix contract) or a variation. Obviously can't comment on the mainland.

As a trainee currently I have to work 48 hours on paper, more in reality. It sucks.