Jobs That Teach Useful Skills

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
chrisreads

Jobs That Teach Useful Skills

Post by chrisreads »

Hi Everyone,

I spent the last 6 years working in property management so I could learn how to manage my own rental properties one day. It was helpful but the company I worked for was sold a few months ago and I'm looking to get into something new. I'd only be looking to do the new job for a year or two.

If I were a little more handy, maybe I'd get into the maintenance side but I think I'd have to take some courses before I could realistically do that job. Does anybody know of any other jobs that might teach me a skill that would be useful for ERE? I have a Bachelors in Business Administration if that helps.

Thanks!

-Chris

Kriegsspiel

Re: Jobs That Teach Useful Skills

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Construction companies are always looking for laborers. You could learn how to do drywall, carpentry, roofing, etc. The requirements are usually "having a car" and "don't show up drunk."

chrisreads

Post by chrisreads »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:46 am
Construction companies are always looking for laborers. You could learn how to do drywall, carpentry, roofing, etc. The requirements are usually "having a car" and "don't show up drunk."
Thanks for answering :D

I've toyed with that idea as well. I'm moderately fit but I'm in my upper 30s though so I'm not sure how well my body would handle jumping into something like that full time.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

You could:
- start a business repairing electronics.
- do the things Kriegsspiel mentioned.
- start a vegetable garden selling either at farmers market or local restaurants and expand it over time.
- go into metalwork/fabrication.
- do something crafting related and sell either locally or on something like etsy.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

You can buy a house in need of a gut rehab and do a bunch of it yourself, and watch contractors do other stuff, then sell it.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think most jobs teach some useful skills, but for many or most the learning curve peaks very quickly. So, since you are just looking for a few more years employment, you might consider just hiring on and then quickly quitting in several different fields. I have been considering this option myself, but more as a way to overcome my lack of desire to do any kind of work for 40 hours/week.

Employment apps like Indeed would make this as easy to do as multiple prospect serial online dating, IFF you are only moderately concerned about consistency of your rep or resume. So, for instance, working for a few months selling RVs on commission would be kind of like dating a reasonably buff, but not terribly bright guy who owns a sailboat for a few months. Then you could move right on to something very different like being the early morning baker at a natural foods market for a few months which would be more like dating a cute musician who cooks for your at his place and takes you to free concerts. Etc. etc. etc.

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:42 pm
IF you are only moderately concerned about consistency of your rep or resume. So, for instance, working for a few months selling RVs on commission would be kind of like dating a reasonably buff, but not terribly bright guy who owns a sailboat for a few months. Then you could move right on to something very different like being the early morning baker at a natural foods market for a few months which would be more like dating a cute musician who cooks for your at his place and takes you to free concerts. Etc. etc. etc.
This is more or less what I did through my twenties and it has been immensely helpful the rest of my life. I learned basic carpentry, house painting, flooring (not recommended), cooking, social skills (door to door sales, it'll get you out of your shell) and probably a lot of other things I've since forgotten. A restaurant kitchen will teach you more life skills faster than anything else you can do. In my experience anyway.

I should note that this was the 1990s, a very different job market. And even then a good bit of these short term gigs I did was through a temp agency (not sure if those even exist anymore), which compartmentalizes the randomness somewhat. I would strongly suggesting researching whether this sort of thing will reflect poorly on you with sites like Indeed. Be shame if it did, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I will start as a laborer on Carpenter tomorow. I choosed this because of all thé skill i will learn for remodelant my house an building my future treehouse

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

luxagraf wrote: I would strongly suggesting researching whether this sort of thing will reflect poorly on you with sites like Indeed.
Might vary, but I don't think they track that sort of thing. More link than think. Also, you could choose to only apply for jobs that are filed under temporary. The gig economy is such a given these days three months practically constitutes a major commitment. Another trend I have noted is that temporary or as-needed employees are often treated better than full-time-ish, lower-rung permanent employees. The dating analogy to this trend would be...

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:27 pm
Another trend I have noted is that temporary or as-needed employees are often treated better than full-time-ish, lower-rung permanent employees.
Perhaps for some things. I could see manual labor being this way, it was last time I was in it. But it's definitely not been my experience in writing/editing gigs.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@luxagraf:

Might just be my perspective, because I like the sort of chaotic situations temps are sometimes pulled in to cover.

chrisreads

Post by chrisreads »

Thanks everyone for the ideas :D I just talked to a friend/former co-worker and he said if I got a job at his current place he'd teach me to be a maintenance tech while I worked as a leasing agent. They were looking for people at his place so I sent over my resume.

If not, maybe I'll look into finding a part-time construction job or maintenance helper job and just keep my freelance writing work to supplement it. This way I'll learn something new without having to jump into it head first.

@7Wannabe5 - like dating 2 people I guess :lol:

Frita

Post by Frita »

Another idea would be to work at a temp agency that would let you cherrypick gigs while working at the same company.