Networking - techniques, experiences and more

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Stahlmann

Networking - techniques, experiences and more

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Riggerjack

Re: Networking - techniques, experiences and more

Post by Riggerjack »

Just ask him about him. Specifically, about how and why he did what he has. That's what you want to know, and most people like to talk about their successes and frustrations.

You really do want to know, so just find the time (that is good for both of you), and ask.

Often, when one allows folks to fill in the details, one finds that higher paying gigs, really aren't worth all the sacrifice. Finding that out in a conversation is much more efficient than by experience.

Good luck.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Stahlmann wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:00 am
What could I offer him? We have the same name for a starter :lol: ... (it was popular back then and I just receive the same name as my grandpa)
I hadn't realized that Stahlmann was such a popular name. :mrgreen:

Sometimes the best thing you can offer someone is to be appreciated.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Here's some thoughts.

- Formally, set up a 30 minute meeting with an invite that says something like, “Can I grab you a (insert applicable cultural beverage, snack or food here) sometime? I’d really like to learn more about your experience in X.”
- BOOM, you’ve already offered value to your networking target, regardless of whether or not he even wants it from you! It also shows an eagerness to learn, which most people appreciate. In my experience, you don't need to worry about offering value beyond a coffee. The experienced individual knows they have more to offer you than you do to them. (I'm assuming this is the situation based on your statements)
- BOOM, you’ve also set up a formal time to talk about whatever given topic you want to talk about. Formal time to talk is different and better than a conversation at the water cooler. It also typically sets up a more intimate environment where people are willing to be a little more transparent and vulnerable.
- Have 4-5 questions in the wings to either start the conversation, or keep the conversation alive
- Be humble and have the person do most of the talking…Again sales advice is useful, you should be talking 20% of the time, mainly to ask questions. Of course, if the target asks specific questions about you go with the flow. The 20% number is mainly to keep you aware of any blabbering you get into.
- Depending on what you actually want as an outcome, I’d recommend writing down your close (just like in a professional selling situation, you have to ask in order to receive), even if you are just asking for more information on the topic. Perhaps, “Thanks for all of this info, I think I want to pursue an opportunity like this, do you have any contacts in Industry X that may be able to provide more information on career opportunities?”

You’re gonna kill it, get the job and go make a shitload of money. Good luck.

Jean

Post by Jean »

You are at 2.5 jafi in poland? That seem great. Was it hard to get a job?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Stahlmann wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:00 am
He once humble bragged like 'I ve good nice job offer for electrical engineer in (insert big corp name here), 200k cad. "
My bullshit detector is flashing orange.
Usually, people with that kind of opportunities are smart/pointe enough to avoid bragging about them with people they know make a fraction of it.

My empirical experience is that 99% of the population lies about money. They either claim they have/make more, or much less, but rarely tell the truth.
I consider myself an honest person but when pressed I just give a fake number unless
A) it's family and/or my 2 best friends
B) I know the person makes much much more than I do

It's not that I want to trick people, it's more of a form of self preservation.

Other than that, I would second Riggerjack's ans SustainableHappiness recommendations

Frita

Post by Frita »

+1 to Seppia’s bullshit meter going off His comments smell like impression management to me. I’d stay clear of this guy and network elsewhere.