Healthy Side Gigs

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
prognastat

Healthy Side Gigs

Post by prognastat »

I was thinking a potential idea to combine increasing income and get healthier would be to have a side gig that actually is a form of cardio exercise. Two I could think of are mowing lawns and walking dogs. These could be done within your own neighbourhood and all you'd have to do is print some flyers to advertise. Are there any others you can think of that would allow one to make money doing something that can be done for a few hours 1-2 days a week, is going to be a cardio exercise of some sort and doesn't require any major skills/accreditations? Bonus points if it requires minimal equipment/startup costs.

daylen

Re: Healthy Side Gigs

Post by daylen »

Dishwashing, forestry, farm assistance, and janitorial.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Hmm, I can definitely add dishwashing and janitorial to the list of possible options. The other two not so much as they would require a decent amount of travel requiring a car to get to any place that would require that work. Could be options to others who are near such opportunities though. Thanks.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Helping people move; there are apps for this now.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

You can get paid to teach group exercise classes. You'll do it along with the class, and it usually comes with a free gym membership.

The bar to entry at most gyms is minimal. Some as little as a weekend course.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

I understand from a friend who owns a dog that there are apps that connect dog owners to dog walkers, an "uber for dog walking" if you will, so you wouldn't even need to advertise. Or to even do it on a schedule, as I understand it - just whenever you felt like it. Don't remember what it's called and I've never seen it / tried it.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Shovelling snow (probably not easily applicable in TX)
Pace setter for running events
Delivery robot handler

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

bigato wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 am
Become a part time bike messenger. Bonus points if you use a fixie.
Sounds like a good idea, but riding around on a bike in a big city full of distracted people and cars, isn´t without its risks.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

thegreatvoid wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 am
Sounds like a good idea, but riding around on a bike in a big city full of distracted people and cars, isn´t without its risks.
Tell that to the deliveroo riders here!

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

henrik wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:12 am
Shovelling snow (probably not easily applicable in TX)
I think it snowed once...year before last.

@bigato
Unfortunately, though being a bike messenger might work in densely populated areas, almost none of Texas even the big cities are all that densely populated. Also there are virtually no bicycle lanes and people aren't used to dealing with cyclists at all. Once I move closer to work I will be cycling to work, but it'll be avoiding any large roads.