Take it or leave it?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Riggerjack

Re: Take it or leave it?

Post by Riggerjack »

I wish I could help, but my own expertise is in other areas.

But reading over your post, I am confused by your hesitation. Your wife found work that works for her, is closer to friends and family, and you can work remotely.

What is the problem? That looks like a set of solutions, all lined up.

What to do if you lose the remote job? Get another one. Or not, as appropriate. That's the beauty of dual incomes, the flexibility to allow career development, if that's what you want.

Everything does not need to be optimal for you to make your next move, it just needs to be better than the current arrangement. You seem to have that. Move to the new city, work the new jobs, and see what you want to do then.

Or not. It's your life, but it seems simple enough from here. Good luck.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Ponderosa wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:14 pm
On a side note - does anyone think getting another degree in computer science is the right way to go for long term satisfaction in that field?
Nope. There are lots of people with science backgrounds (especially physicists) that have turned their programming hobby into careers. The CS field relies a lot on practical skills. If you know one programming language, and have completed some personal projects, you can get a job.

That's not to say that the theory side of CS is useless -- there are fundamentals that are valuable to know in the long run -- but you can be quite productive without knowing them.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Ponderosa wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:14 pm
On a side note - does anyone think getting another degree in computer science is the right way to go for long term satisfaction in that field? I applied to an online program which would take 1.5 years and cost about 28k - which isn't bad but still considerable cost considering I already have a MSc in Physics.
absolutely not. MSc is overqualified for all except the most specialized programming positions. and even then, MSc in physics is probably a better baseline than MSc in CS.

there are exactly 3 things in CS that are "science", everything else is practice and plumbing:
1)Big O notation for algorithmic complexity (constant, linear, logarithmic, exponential) (aka not putting loops in other loops)
2)Relational databases exist for a reason. No need to re-invent them every decade.
3).. there's probably a 3rd one, but it escapes brute right now. sorry. oops

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Take the $$$ first, figure the other stuff out later. If you’re working from home and the job is easy, you can even find time to be even more productive and perhaps make more money elsewhere. Stick it out for awhile. Especially as you are new to actual work after getting your Master’s, you need both money and job experience. I don’t envy the mid-thirty-something PhD’s who are trying to get their first jobs.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Ponderosa wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:14 pm
To me it seems like there is a higher demand for professionals who can work in a business like setting developing their software or software for customers (especially where I'm moving). If I go this route there is an awesome bootcamp in this area that has strong connections with many companies in the vicinity.
approved