Government, mega corp, or small dirty business?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
tradfgh

Government, mega corp, or small dirty business?

Post by tradfgh »

I think I can get a good government jerb in 1 year, because my criminal record will be dismissed (misdemeanor DUI). I estimate my salary will be about 40k + 30k benefits - 70k + 45k benefits if I wait, get a 2 year IT degree + a 4 year business degree and just be a government goon.

I could spend 100k-150k on a work truck and go around landscaping, hoping to break even by the end of 10 hour days on the first year.

I could almost walk into Tesla or Amazon factory/warehouse and get a $13 a hour job...

Which is the best choice for a single 28 year old, who hates working, and just wants to play computers all day?

tradfgh

Re: Government, mega corp, or small dirty business?

Post by tradfgh »

fuck that....
I can make more (and enjoy it) doing "landscaping".

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

tradfgh wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 pm
fuck that....
I can make more (and enjoy it) doing "landscaping".
If you enjoy landscaping, then that is what you should do.

tradfgh

Post by tradfgh »

Augustus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:31 pm
You're planning to landscape by playing on the computer all day?
No.
Landscaping will be selling my body/time for 50 hours a week and investing 70k-150k in work truck / tools, and then cherry pick my jobs after the first or second year, and get rid of my "laborer", or expand.

This is the kind of landscaping no one enjoys.

Similar to buying a bucket truck, except bucket trucks are even more expensive at 200k a pop... but you can make about $1400 per job.

tradfgh

Post by tradfgh »

"Your plan is to enjoy doing landscaping that no one enjoys so that you can work 10 hr days and have no time to be on computers"
Yes, until I can cherry pick jobs say 2 jobs for a 5 hour work day, for $400 over the 5 hours would be my 2nd year goal, or too expand too two trucks and hire a professional driver for 1 truck, and run the other truck.

Trucks are getting more computer centric, and no company with 3 trucks has the owner digging on a daily basis, at this point the owner would be stuck in an office, with a phone surgically implanted to their ear.

Landscaping allows me to start my own business fast/soon, and I would be going out selling my truck's time, my laborer's time, and my time.

Programming only allows me to sell my own time, and my only "programming" experience was useless courses, and working as a government "programmer", where I was literally being paid to sit a cubical and not work for 6 months...

pk+

Post by pk+ »

Small business and $150k expense on truck sounds a bit ridiculous for me. What stops $1-4k vehicle from transporting some dirt, barrow and shovel? If you really want to spent money on advertisement, there are probably better ways than shiny car.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@Augustus - programming sounds like it can be a good gig. Do you think its something you can very easily train yourself to do? What sort of timeline do you think for skilling yourself and being able to run it on a self employed/consulting basis to earn an ok amount of money?

tradfgh

Post by tradfgh »

A class 6 truck costs $65,000 new with no tax, no registration, and no trailer.
The trailer I need to do this job costs 30k-40k.
Yes there are cheaper ways to do the same job like buying/renting a $1700 trash pump and some hoses, but it is highly illegal...

It is impossible to move 1500 gallons of poop with a 1-4k truck and a shovel 2-4 times a day.

The lowest cost i have seen in america is 36k for an illegal (too old too pass EPA) truck in kentucky, a 65k 2017 truck with a salvage title.

Buying the salvage title truck seems too stupid, considering I will be spending 30k-40k on the trailer anyways...