Post Formating

Questions and comments
cmonkey

Post Formating

Post by cmonkey »

So I'm trying to write up a post and change the size of text, but I can't go any higher than 'Normal', which is size=100. I tried to hack in 150 but it won't let me. Was this changed recently?

I did recently switch to a Mac, so this might be it?

The larger sizes are very good for journal posts where you are trying to separate sections and such.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Post Formating

Post by jacob »

Yeah, I did that the other day. I'm trying to impose some order/uniformity in the looks of the threads. I figure if I remove all "form", it will encourage more "function". So more ala linkedin. Less ala myspace. It's subtle, but I believe it works.

Another thing I wish I could do is the remove the "-quote-button since too many are abusing it as a reply-button :x

C40

Post by C40 »

> "So more ala linkedin"

But we don't want jobs (testing if those still work)

Fish

Post by Fish »

@jacob - How to remove reply-with-quote button in phpBB: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2351251

Edit: A lower-complexity solution: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2017865
Oleg@phpBB wrote: I think removing the quote button from your style(s) would achieve the effect you're looking for and would be much easier to do.

E.g. in styles/prosilver/template/viewtopic_body.html find the line containing {L_REPLY_WITH_QUOTE} and delete that line.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

On behalf of any virgin internet forumites (including me), what's the problem with using the quote button? Is it a capacity issue if you use the quote button for entire blocks of text vs a line or two?

I do not want to break the internet.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Fish - Thanks!

@SH - It's explained in the forum rules.
2) DON'T USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION AS A REPLY BUTTON! Some people use phones or textreaders to keep up, so please don't abuse the quote function. Don't quote the entire post you're responding to. Because if you do, people have to scroll through all that only to learn that you're just responding to the post above :( IF you're responding to the entire post (which is the case in most cases), just start your post with @theirusername. Then respond. Only use the quote function when/if responding to specific paragraphs or sentences and edit everything else out.
Which derives from Netiquette #4. It used to be an actual physical bandwidth problem, but today it's more of a mental bandwidth issue. It's annoying when reading a thread to have to scroll through a post from someone quoting an entire post just to read a few lines of response at the very bottom. There's no need to include a copy of the entire post one is responding to in one's own post when it can be found above.

I think of this [forum] like I think of managing a communal kitchen in a shared living space. If everybody always cleaned up after themselves, not leaving dirty dishes and wiping the counter tops, there would be no need for rules. However, anyone who has ever lived in such a living arrangement has likely experienced what happens once "that new guy" starts leaving a mess. If not, what typically happens is that several other people figure that 1) I'm not gonna clean up after him/others; and 2) If he can leave a mess or if the kitchen is already dirty, I can leave a mess too. As a result, the situation rapidly deteriorate and the kitchen (alternatively forum) becomes a constant mess that people eventually don't want to use. One rotten apple spoils the bunch. In a small group, usually one can call a meeting/intervention. In a large setting, it's easier to hire a kitchen-cleaner who comes in and "resets expectations" once a week---which is pretty much the job of the admin.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Thank you.