Forum showing me logged in as different user

Questions and comments
halfmoon

Re: Forum showing me logged in as different user

Post by halfmoon »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:44 pm
ERE withdrawal is real.
Yeah...I might have checked it about a gazillion times in the last few days. :oops:

Wouldn't it be possible to have an option here to be a supporting subscriber or some such thing? I personally would be delighted to contribute toward costs/time of keeping the ERE drug pipeline open.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

I will contribute one or five dollars here per month.

Hell even a Patreon might be worth it. Although I doubt Jacob would want to deal with that.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

Surprised to see this post exists (x2!). When I made it I was getting the error messages, so I thought it ended up in the void. And I echo all previous plaudits for tech support and the value of this forum. I missed it.

@fiby41: sorry I messed up your name during our virtual mind meld. The worst thing is that I thought it looked wrong at the time but couldn't figure out why. Feel free to call me Mr. Lonelyhearts from now on.

bryan

Post by bryan »

yay! good news. Though it looks like some posts got lost in the journey? I remember commenting in this thread (about HTTP/HTTPS and asking about backup of the forums) as well as seeing more posts from jacob. @halfmoon mentioned thinking she had posted a journal post? Maybe anything posted after a certain time got lost?

good to be back :D

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

ERE forum down for a few days... so that's what societal collapse will feel like :roll:

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

+1 Thanks for all the hard work to bring this back. Gosh I missed having this sane place to retreat to when online.

Real value here if us ERE types are willing to pay a monthly sub to keep this going (and going).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

After spending Friday, Saturday, and Sunday trying to figure out the neurotic board behavior with a lot of volunteer assistance from a couple of forumites, the problem---as it is currently understood---was due to bug(*) in the cache on the shared server leading it to serve old pages.

(*) Or a config error, or something more sinister, see below.

I tried hacking the phpbb code and htaccess and I tried to get tech support to look into four times but while they saw the problem they didn't feel like escalating it---the recommendation was that I upgrade my service with them, since serving 1 hr old pages was to be expected at my current service plan, because varnish ...

I, therefore, decided to move the entire website to a new host (you might have noticed that the forum is responding a little/lot faster now?). Posts made during "The Neurotic Era" (between Friday and Monday) were lost.

I hired an admin to do the work, so the credit is all his. He fixed it approximately 500-1000x faster than I could have done it since I don't know much about modern server administration. He'll also take over maintenance, so I can focus less of worrying about the technical details.

All I did/do around here is to pay the bills and do a little moderation from time to time. I mean, it's really you guys who provide most of the value around here; both in posting and in stepping up and helping out when the shit's on fire.

I do appreciate the offers and suggestions for contributions. However, while the cost of running the board will go up, I don't think it will exceed the low-three digit income the forum/blog makes from the ads (please DO NOT go and click on them thinking I will get paid from your clicks ... that's not how they're supposed to work and it'll likely backfire!). As I don't really generate more content here than any of you guys, I would feel weird about using patreon or similar. My experience from last time (2011?) I tried something like this was that rather than 3000 people each paying $0.1-$1 (long tail), which is what I was hoping for, it was more half a dozen contributing $10 and one contributing $100 (the very short tail).

However, if anyone feels like throwing money this way in an indirect fashion, maybe consider spending it on Paul Wheaton's new kickstarter project which I suspect many of you would be interested in. He's recording courses on permaculture, animals (bees, worms, ...) and Appropriate Technology (AT) sized for a homestead! The money goes to fancy equipment to record the courses. You get the resulting video and various existing ebooks proportional to the pledge (scroll about halfway down on the kickstarter page to see the goodies). The link is a referral link and I get 20% kickback. Win-win-win?

bryan

Post by bryan »

> the recommendation was that I upgrade my service with them, since serving 1 hr old pages was to be expected at my current service plan, because varnish ...

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for taking the weekend to get things back running. Everyone owes you a beer next time they see you! Though, you may need the ERE forum fix as much as the rest of us :D

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I saw the same complaint recently on a BMW R65 forum. Weird coincidence.

Chris

Post by Chris »

jacob wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:49 am
I hired an admin to do the work ... He'll also take over maintenance
Given that, is HTTPS in our future?

When the neurotic forum behavior started, I'd considered that perhaps some password was leaked...

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Chris - Yes it is.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Forum now accepts HTTPS, go https://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/ (still some issues with mixed content for now).

bryan

Post by bryan »

> Forum now accepts HTTPS

Yesss. I deleted references to the http:// in my history so I don't inadvertently land into http..

Though if someone posts a link to another thread with the "http" (or maybe without http or https) it will jump to the http. "HTTPS Everywhere" doesn't seem to catch this. Maybe it will take some time for "HTTPS Everywhere" to notice that https is available here now and to add it to their rules, or something?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

My withdrawl condition has been rectified!

Fortunately the in-laws were visiting us the past few days, so it's not like the burning need sensations I was feeling on Saturday...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I was fretting a bit. Decent salons are not like lovers or buses. The homeless cats don't seem at all interested in learning about their role in the nitrogen cycle, no matter how long I babble on about the topic.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The wiki has been moved: http://wiki.earlyretirementextreme.com/ (you can edit it again if you want w/o losing anything)

As mentioned above, anyone who wants to contribute to my "Lamborghini fund" can do so by buying permaculture and appropriate technology stuff with the following affiliate link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pa ... ref=1b4oye (I get 20%)

Just mentioning it since according to Paul, nobody has used the link yet (as per a couple of days ago). I did tell him that you guys like to dip your wallets in epoxy on a weekly basis so that I wasn't really expecting anything. I think he was surprised though. Or maybe the link doesn't work.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 pm
I was fretting a bit. Decent salons are not like lovers or buses. The homeless cats don't seem at all interested in learning about their role in the nitrogen cycle, no matter how long I babble on about the topic.
They'll participate whether they pay attention to you or not.

Fish

Post by Fish »

jacob wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 1:42 pm
According to Paul, nobody has used the link yet (as per a couple of days ago).
Still considering it. It's one of those voluntary giving situations where being unable to give directly to the cause ends up reducing donor enthusiasm. Kind of like being asked to give to the food bank instead of the normal birthday present, or make donations to charity in lieu of flowers for a funeral.

It's likely more donations would be received if you solicited them directly (Patreon?) and told people upfront that contributions in excess of ERE site expenses would be donated to support permaculture efforts.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Fish - Ah okay, I get it. I suppose I was figuring it was one of those cases where the overlap in the Venn diagram was stronger than either side. Afterall, I don't need the money. In the current case, 20% of that link goes to me buying matchbox cars for my relatives(*) and 80% goes to Paul Wheaton to record videos or some future project of his that's completely and utterly aligned with where I think the 21st century is going. The more people who know about permaculture and alternative technology, the better. I bet we're both well off in $$ but Wheaton is having more impact than me, so I encourage [your random discretionary] funds going his way but figured that the transfer would only happen if you're into PC/AT---but which I figure a lot of forumites are---if you're not, it doesn't make much sense to go this way, obviously..

The current situation is that random ads already pay the [new] ERE expenses, so everything [in the new setup] is covered in terms of ERE website cashflows. However, some of you wanted to donate and I figured this would be a solution that didn't make me feel obligated to do something I might not want to [because you got something out of it].

I must admit that I still feel wonder how I ever ended up being the "head" of an online community. I mean there were some early potential (I ran a BBS back in the 1980s) but I never figured it would turn into a "thing" to turn me into some kind of guru on the mountain. Most days on this board, I'd rather be a civilian.

I should also mention that Paul Wheaton offered to step in and host an "Early Retirement Extreme" forum on his forums in case I/we (earlyret...com) broke down or was canned (due to my possible surrendering) ... so he deserves a lot of credit/respect for that.

(*) Alternatively, I suppose if anyone has some old matchbox cars sitting around collecting dust, I'll be happy to take those via USPS flatrate and forward them to my needy relatives (age almost 3). Also Thomas Train junk, if available. Last year (2016), I really enjoyed exchanging flat rate boxes performing a kind of ERE-freecycle via mail. That particular solution also creates jolts of happiness.

PS: I always expected everyone here to be in a weird situation wrt resource flows. That is, afterall, why we're here.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Fish, jacob, it reminds me of some news about Slack being an intermediary between investors and other startups. jacob, you could likewise participate in such arbitrage. It also reminds me of (multi-party) atomic token swaps in the crypto-currency space (seems like a hard problem, but a very compelling one for financial markets).

edit: in general, don't see why it wouldn't be possible for anyone to "roll their own" patreon/crowdtilt. You could automate any forwarding of excess funds to other crowdtilts etc. Do non-profits already do this manually? Maybe there are laws/regulations that forbid/punish it? Sounds like a fun project.. if only I were RE.