* Forum Moderation Strategy *

Questions and comments
fiby41

Re: Forum moderation strategy

Post by fiby41 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:36 am

jennypenny wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:40 pm
Ego wrote:Is that one of the threaded comment plugins that automatically deletes a comment with a lot of down votes? It would be a shame if, say, an unreasonable comment on banning was automatically deleted like that, wouldn't it?
You can do that?

I'm glad we don't have that here. My post count would plummet.
Ego wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:42 pm
I was talking about the site where the original comment appeared. They've got a thumbs-up/down feature.

What I should have said was what scott2 said above.
jacob wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:36 pm
@Ego - AFAIK this forum has no plugins whatsoever. We run a really lean operation for stability/easy reasons. Notice the resistance everytime anyone suggests installing "features".

Besides, I really dislike karma-voting procedures, ala reddit or amazon as it turns posting into a subjective opinion/Matthew-effect popularity contest. IMHO one of the worst social media inventions ever, other than instant "sharing".
What Ego meant was, did the person who inspired this thread, post their badmouthing comments on a site like reddit or voat.co . In which case we could downvote it, and all other such comments from that user, into oblivion. Its called vote brigading.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Re: * Forum Moderation Strategy *

Post by jacob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:09 am

Just a heads-up to everybody (Not just moderators).

Instead of continually PM'ing me about "THAT [proverbial] guy" or asking for what the guidelines are for inappropriate, spammy, crossing-the-line, etc. stuff is ... please click on the "!" (exclamation mark) symbol on a given post to report it instead of PM'ing me. What this does is to put it in the moderation queue where I will definitely see it. Putting posts in the queue also hides them from everybody else until I deal with it. Do not worry about reporting stuff. I can always revert it. As a positive side-effect, immediate [community] reactions also prevents potential shitstorms from escalating. Think of it as neighborhood watch.

PS: I thought it should have gone without saying that the report function is not there for abuse, personal entertainment, or other stupid misuse :x

Dragline

Post by Dragline » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm so tempted to click on the "!" on your post just to see if it works. :twisted:

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Somebody already did that.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Why don't people just express why they think the post is inappropriate instead of immediately flagging it? We used to be able to self-police around here and I often got something out of the discussion. If a post just disappears, no one learns anything.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Okay, I guess I might burst some bubbles, but this forum is not exactly self-policing and it never has been. For example, remember my last vacation from the forum?

Policing the forum is more of a fractal enterprise with me nuking the worst offenses and very rarely offenders too.

About 2% of the posters cause 98% of the issues around here. Generally almost everybody adds value but there's always one (or two) people who is causing grief. The Pareto Law is very strong. I try to stop those few in their tracks by deleting posts before it turns into a shitstorm/he-said-she-said/lynch-mob crapola thread.

What you might see as a self-policing forum is the kind of forum that comes after I've deleted posts that violate the forum rules to prevent shit from escalating.

You're seeing the minor issues of the 98%---the result after significant(*) clean-up effort---unless you're fast, you don't get to see see the crap that causes people to ask me to wipe their accounts.

(*) Not in terms of volume but in terms of staying on top of it.

TL;DR => What I'm asking here is for people to click and report posts that violate the forum rules rather than PM me every time it happens. It's just easier [for me] that way. As a corollary... using "reporting" in a humorous/irrelevant way is like prank-calling 911. Not exactly life/death here, but generally it's not appreciated :evil:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 pm

I've moderated 4 forums. This one is shockingly civil.

I'll go with whatever policy you'd like, but 'reporting' sounds like 'see something, say something' to me and I'm not a fan of that either. I guess it's just a personal preference. I'm more the "I'm Millwall" type.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Wrong analogy. Moderating online forums is more like wildfire management. Think Smokey the Bear.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm

edit: I retract my statement. His house, his rules.

Play nice.