Questions and comments
C40

Getting logged out of the forum frequently

Post by C40 »

I've been having some trouble lately:
- I'll log in to the forum, or already be logged in from previous session
- See a post that I want to reply to.
- Type in a reply and click submit or preview
- Get the "you must be logged in to reply" screen (and I'm now logged out).

I've had this happen very quickly - I literally log in just to reply, and within a minute or two I'm having to log in again. It happens both on my computer and my phone, and it has happened a lot of times. It seems to have started for me within the last month or two.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something specific that might be causing it for me? Is there something I can do about it?

Tyler9000

Re: Getting logged out of the forum frequently

Post by Tyler9000 »

It happens on my tablet but not my computer. I haven't found a workaround yet other than to keep signing in.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

No software changes since the big bluehost blunder.

No problems on my end (firefox on macosx and ubuntu 12LTS). I am never logged in via any phone network.

C40

Post by C40 »

Oh!

Yeah - this issue started for me right around the same time I cancelled my internet and starting using my phone as a hotspot.

hmm...

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

@C40, if you are logging in with mobile internet, the only issue I think could be your IP changing and this invalidates your login somehow? That is assuming the forum login system even cares about IP addresses? However it is more likely you are not keeping your cookies and need to change your settings.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

In any case, we're not (no longer) doing anything particularly weird.

We deliberately have a very standard phpbb setup with a very standard cloudflare proxy, so any technical forum issues should be universal and googable.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

I also get logged out frequently on a mobile device, which doesn't run on a cell network, just wifi. It doesn't always happen, just every few days.

Noided

Post by Noided »

It happens to me too, either at home or at work. There was also another bug where the forum would forget what I had read before, but that no longer happens.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Noided - That's not a bug. That's cookie related. To reduce server load, tracking read posts was switched from internal tables to cookies.

Noided

Post by Noided »

Ok ok. Anyway, I changed nothing and it started working...

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Go to
ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=autologin_keys
and delete the keys there.

There's a link at the bottom of the forum "delete all board cookies" do that, and clear your own cookies for forum.earlyretirementextreme.com and then see if the next login keeps.

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

So I'm having a problem and thought I'd drop it here rather than a new thread. When I use the "Mark Topic as Read" feature at the top of a given topic, the topics that I haven't actually read don't stay marked as read once any thread in that topic has been updated. This started the same time as the upgrade, but seems like it might be cookie/browser related too?

Using Chrome on Windows, only access from that one device.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Beats me ... for specific problems, the best solution (if you want one) is probably just to google "phpbb whatever problem" since we're [very deliberately] using the standard configuration with zero(right, bigato?) plugins.

Also, basically, no changes will be made on this [server] side for now. Maybe if we get to the point of paying for a dedicated server (rather than the shared @#!# now) we can start screwing around with the settings, installing plugins, and meeting various "requests of convenience" but until then, the forum settings stay were they are.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

I was unable to log-in at work today, multiple times and after attempting to re-set my password twice (and eventually gave up and just read without being logged in).

This may be related to my work network, but even facebook was working so I'm not sure. Has anyone else had this problem recently?

sky

Post by sky »

If the mods have not changed the default forum name, and a user visits another forum with the same default name, there is interference with the saved password in the cookies. That might have something to do with user login problems.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Grrr ... I'm stuck on my phone this week (out of town) and I'm having the same issue. Never had it before. Keep losing posts.

edit: of course, this posted with no problem. :P