Renaissance/Polymath resources

Questions and comments
ShaneEde

Post by ShaneEde »

I just finished the ERE book and the idea that Jacob presents of the Renaissance/Polymath really struck a chord with me. For those of you that are familiar with the subject, and are also interested, I am looking to collect a few resources.
What I'm looking for: Book recommendations. Blogs. Forums. Sites. Whatever you've got that you think would lend to furthering my knowledge on the subject.
Thanks in advance!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Do you mean knowledge about "polymathism" in particular or where to get started learning many things on your own?
1) Biographies about Benjamin Franklin or Gustave Le Bon.
2) The ERE book's bibliography.

beany

Post by beany »

Besides Jacob's excellent list (most of which I've read) I just learned about Raj Patel yesterday and I love him because he covers the missing intersection I've been looking for:http://rajpatel.org
Specifically, world economics, investing in local food sources, environmentalism, world politics, finance, philosophy - all addressed with a terrific sense of humor.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

There's a reason that I'm not addressing the importance of global problems more directly on the blog (or in the book). It's like this. Problems which are global in scope are hard to connect to the individual by cause and effect (most people don't think that far ... bad things always happen to someone else). To many people it is therefore a question of belief. If we use the analogy of the Titanic, it is futile to discuss icebergs because most people believe that the ship is unsinkable. Thus I dedicate my effort towards teaching people on board woodworking skills like building boats out of the furniture as a fun project instead. Because, hey, those skills will come in handy eventually ;-)
I believe that by doing it this way I may be able to help thousands of people. Talking about politics I may only be able to convince a handful of people who aren't already convinced.