People need ERE principles more than ever?

Questions and comments
Hankaroundtheworld

People need ERE principles more than ever?

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Hi, see the following article:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/art ... st-small_1

I guess, not really surprising news, as this is going on for some time, but if you look at the explosion of "freelance" jobs in the Netherlands, with no more guarantees in career or government support or nice pension build-ups, it becomes even more important that people become "financially free" quickly and can choose the temp jobs they like.

In the article, there is also a reference to the move away from being "specialized" all your life, so more to Renaissance profile (you can argue).

jennypenny

Re: People need ERE principles more than ever?

Post by jennypenny »

I found another interesting post from him "The Myth of the Self-Made Man." http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/arti ... -rr-rmpost

edited to add: I'm not sure I agree with him in either post, but they gave me something to think about. When I read his posts, I kept thinking "there are no guarantees." Maybe everyone has to learn that for themselves?

Chad

Re: People need ERE principles more than ever?

Post by Chad »

Hankaroundtheworld wrote:Hi, see the following article:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/art ... st-small_1

I guess, not really surprising news, as this is going on for some time, but if you look at the explosion of "freelance" jobs in the Netherlands, with no more guarantees in career or government support or nice pension build-ups, it becomes even more important that people become "financially free" quickly and can choose the temp jobs they like.

In the article, there is also a reference to the move away from being "specialized" all your life, so more to Renaissance profile (you can argue).

Interesting article. I'm wondering if this is going to be the same kind change we went through when the idea of working at the same company for life was "shattered." There was change, but only for a small percentage of the population. The idea that everyone before the 70's worked for the same company all there lives and this changed in the 80's and 90's is kind of a myth. Yes, less people made or were allowed to make that lifelong commitment to one company, but in reality not many really did that before.

I kind of think this employment treatise might be along the same lines. There will be change, but not massive change. It will still probably be more common to have a traditional job than be a free lancer. Though, being a free lancer will be more common and easier to do.

Part of the reason it seems this way to me is that the author does not use strong stats to back up his reasoning. One of his main reasons for this theory is that only 63.5% of men hold jobs, which is the lowest since 1948. This number is probably due to a lot of different reasons. These would include demographics, women working, automation replacing low-skilled blue collar, etc.