Do you really understand ERE?

Questions and comments
ThisDinosaur

Re: Do you really understand ERE?

Post by ThisDinosaur » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Since Jacob just linked to this thread, I'm re-evaluating my ERE design to see if it qualifies. I'm not sure it does.

Jacob says the goal is to supply needs automatically by "eliminating work and pollution [=waste]...through useful hobbies...contingencies, backups."

Minimalism comes naturally to me. I see material possessions as dead weight. Healthy lifestyle comes naturally to me. I'm an active guy and I don't much care for doughnuts n' such.

But nobody's gonna feed me in exchange for climbing stuff and kayaking. (No, I don't enjoy fishing or foraging.) Investing and maintaining a homestead are both "work" to me, so this doesn't strictly meet Jacob's definition.

wolf

Re: Do you really understand ERE?

Post by wolf » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am

As I wrote in my journal post, I have spend some time and collected many aspects of ERE from various sources (see below). I tried to collect them in a consistent way without multiple entries/nominations. Maybe you are interested and maybe you can use it too. These aspects all come from us (ERE-Forum).
I want to thank all of you, because all this is based on the various posts from you. I want to thank especially Jacob, because he is the reason why many/all of us are here. And I want to thank him because, he showed me/us the path/way to ERE.

Sources:
ERE vs sacrifice / The Wheaton scale of ERE.
Do you really understand ERE?
What is ERE? from ERE-Wiki

Aspects of ERE in no particular order, separated by semicolon:

living life the way you want to live it; freedom from fear; freedom from bondage to possesions; conscious choice of self discipline; life off the beaten path; planning, designing and executing; continuous self-improvement; sufficient abundance to allow comfort and contentedness; without excess and without clutter; become absolutely free; creating a personal feedback loop of discovery and growth; constantly adapting to change; eliminating unnecessary desctructive elements; creation rather than consumption; minimalism; self-sufficiency; personal system; development and possession of a variety of skills and knowledge; solving problems creatively; live independently and robustly and antifragile; optimization of limited resources; system approach to applied self-reliance; simple living; anticonsumerism; DIY ethics; creating resilient and sustainable and holistic solutions to the problems of life; efficient use of time and life energy; develop many different skills; interconnection and relation to one another; "personal permaculture"; each skill aids and supports the other skills naturally; in harmony with personal values, preferences and goals; environmentally sustainable lifestyle; choose your own path in life; living below your means in all aspects of life within self-defined bounds; minimizing waste; with minimum of effort, energy, time and resources; aligning goals with the positive by-products of individual actions; accumulation of skills and resources; looking, thinking and learning... and then applying to see if the idea works for you; strive to become antifragile; hack to get out of the "common" society; optimal balance between creating personal happiness and providing the personal effort or spending time to reach this; follow your personal goals without any limitation set by others; increasing choices and options in life; eliminate work that is required to satisfy needs and wants; setting up a system that requires little maintenance; contains a substantial focus on future; long-term thinking; specifically contingencies and backups; shift from consumer dependency on the world and its products; renaissance man ideal; home economics; individualism; lifestyle that meets all needs while minimizing ongoing inputs of money, natural resources, friction, and effort; prudence; becoming financial independent; systems principles; web approach; connection between the choices rather than on the choices themselves; a way of viewing the structure of the choices and how they fit together in the most optimal way; design a structure and a system; maximize the synergy between specific choices to increase efficiency and opportunity; Web of Goals; eliminating negative side-effects; goals are choosen to have mutually reinforcing positive side effects; maximize resilience; brain-intensive replacement of consumerism; building goods without having to purchase them; flexibility; greater personal competences; frugality; survivalism; car-free living; significant reduction in living expenses; Pareto principle; focus on production over consumption; self-actualization; involvment of networking with people; The consumer needs to spend money on finished products and services. The ERE person spends money on tools, parts, and education in order to make his own products and services.; building a skill set not only develops useful skills, but also provides security by leveraging those skills to generate income; more possible combinations to try when solving a problem; solve a problem using its own skill-set instead of purchasing a solution to a problem; provide for their own needs instead of purchasing needed items; increased knowledge makes it possible to see opportunities where others do not see them; adaptability; sustainability; reducing, reusing, recycling, repairing, reselling; diversifying income streams; maximize serendipity, which is an unexpected positive opportunity; minimizing any constraints in order to maximize serendipity; increasing a person's awareness; being widely competent and informed; generates opportunities through many different people and many different projects; not about lifestyle, but more about life-history; process of becoming a master of yourself; multidimensional; financial wealth AND resources and skills; renaissance - being generally and widely proficient; synergy effects; resourcefulness; working smarter, not harder; many tools available; bringing concepts together; adding value; thinking like a designer; closing the cycle from resource to production to resource; removing inefficiencies; picks a tool that works with the environment; emerging that it scales; how you think and interact with the world; autonomy and freedom; having turned yourself into a hub that connects persons from different backgrounds, resources from different places, skills from different areas; is not about being a self-sufficient homesteader; be able to do something in as many different ways as possible; being not dependent on just one thing; if you need something done more than once, learn to do it yourself; looking for the sweet spot between making, fixing, getting, trading, combining, substituting, and last but not least buying; the more you know, the best you can pick the right solution for the problem; ERE: 25% paying, 25% substituting/trading..., 25% fixing, 25% making ... depending on skills and preferences; whether a skill / activity is worth doing depends largely on whether it fulfills three factors: autonomy, mastery, purpose; goal of ERE is competence; develop 20th century life skills and prioritize life-skills rather than random "passions";