ERE audio book?

Questions and comments
Jason

Re: ERE audio book?

Post by Jason »

LOL @ ERE Audio book. Blind people would barely make it through the first sentence before screaming "Give me the fucking Braille!!!"

That being said, I would love to see a day in the life documentary of JLF. And I don't mean that in a purely voyeuristic type of way (although that's certainly part of it), but a visual demonstration of applied ERE with a voice over narration providing insight, and underlying philosophy/theory. I'm assuming it's the last thing in the world he would want to do, but I think it would be genuinely interesting. I mean it has to be better than those dollar a day guys, the MMM TED talk or those God-forsaken, pretentious, we used to be yuppie minimalists.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Jason - I've actually talked about something like that on and off with a TV production company for the past two years or so. However, they're having a hard time selling the concept further up to the TV bosses who are more interested in me playing a lifestyle coach with volunteer participants screaming and breaking down crying on national TV because they overran their iTunes budget again. Modern TV demands someone you can either laugh at or laugh with and I'm neither.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Well, I guess I should start preparing myself for The Fox Network's "Mr. Money Mustache Makeover" previews. I mean let's face it, he's really just a glorified gym teacher.

You on the other hand, lend to something more intimate and contemplative. Despite its Seinfeldian overtones, you don't need to be the President of a TV network to know that a sustained show about a guy who doesn't even own a TV in the first place is most likely not going to rise to the top of the Nielsen ratings. But a documentary, the quirky but interesting type like "The Barkley Marathons" would work. I do honestly think it would find an audience. They can interview your greatest disciples, like The Animal. You just have to acclimate yourself to the inevitability that 7W5 would steal it from under you and be the one to get her own TV show.

NPV

Post by NPV »

jacob wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:17 pm
I pasted it into an online text to speech converter (without reading it first beyond the first couple words) and it was perfectly comprehensible, probably easier than Brief History of Time or Selfish Gene, actually (for nowhere-near-a-physicist-me, anyway). I built up to this by listening to a lot of audiobooks over time, though.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I thought that Brief History of Time was written for little kids. The ERE book is way more data-dense.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

As someone who listens to audiobooks at work, I like the idea. But...

I listened to some philosophy 201 course years ago. It was too much, in that the ideas I didn't agree with formed a "yes, but" reaction that I had no way to resolve. The traditional route would be for the students to get together and hash it out over coffee or beer. But this isn't an option for audiobooks, and I found it unsatisfactory. But this could be just a manifestation of my contrarIan/argumentative nature.

If you were to do an audiobook, and if done well, I think it would be great. Consider including a .PDF with the charts. Ideally with hyperlinks at the chart for the point in the audiobook discussing the charts. This would help the reader treat the book as a reference, as was intended.

In fact, the .PDF could be used as advertising for the audiobook, with the hyperlinks going to short segments of the book, and the audiobook being for sale independent of the free .pdf.

Using all methods for broadest dissemination, makes sense. But there are already plenty of other options for getting the frugality message out there. If it were my book, I doubt I would be motivated to do all the work of changing formats to reach more people less likely to receive the information in an actionable way. There is definitely a diminishing returns issue to address.