Donations to Upgrade Forum Server?

Questions and comments
Spartan_Warrior

Re: Donations to Upgrade Forum Server?

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Looking awesome, thanks Bigato! The best part of this new software IMO is that the forum messages are a lot less narrow. So when I post a long-form essay on determinism, it doesn't stretch on to infinity!

My only suggestion would be to change the text in the top banner from "ERE Forum" back to "Early Retirement Extreme Forum", mostly because I enjoyed having coworkers see that when they come into my cubicle. ;)

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Hear, hear! Awesome job, Bigato and Jp!

Now, do we need to donate somewhere?

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I had trouble logging onto the new forum recently. It's working for me now (obviously), but I wanted to make this post for the record.

Once the forum changed, I was unable to log in. My old password was rejected whenever I tried to log on. I tried using the "I forgot my password" link several times over multiple days, but no e-mail was sent to me (I even checked my spam folder).

It finally started working on July 2, when the "I forgot my password" request actually did work, and I got an e-mail with a new password. Not sure if it was random or if someone actually fixed something.

rube

Post by rube »

Negative modus on //
I have to get used to the new format. It's a little bit more work to find/check on the newest posts, particular on my phone while traveling (slow connection). That said, it is probably just me that have to get used to changes and check possibilities, color signs etc. Might also be better when I make it a habit to login when I am check the forum on my phone
// Negative modus off

In my experience the speed of the forum increased enormous. I am very glad the issue of down time seems to be solved. This community is great!

BIGATO: don't let my negative modus fool you, it's the only (minor) thing I could find and it is me who has sometimes a hard time to change certain habits. The forum is great, and (as a non-IT guy) I am impressed by your knowledge and problem solving ability!! All your work is very, very much appreciated.
So, the big message is: thank you, thank you!

Ah, and during typing my 1st message on this new forum, I see also it's much easier to insert URL, images, change font details etc. Great! :D

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Rube-- "View Active Topics" towards the top on the left-hand side will give you the newer postings. I have it bookmarked on my phone now to make it easier.

rube

Post by rube »

ah, so great JP! It's now added to the speeddial on my phone. Thanks a lot.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Hey bigato, is the features "wish list" available in a particular thread that I'm just missing somewhere?

Either way, I have another question/suggestion: is it possible with this theme to make html links show up in a different color? As it is now, they seem to be the same color as the rest of the text, so it's hard to really see a link until you hover over it.

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

I just want to offer my thanks and my respect bigato, great job! In the unlikely event that I find myself in the position of being able to recommend an IT consultant, you're on the top of my list

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Thanks for making the transition. Great job, definitely a smooth transition. My old password worked and everything.

It's funny but I found the old forum nicer/friendlier in terms of the interface. The main page always showed the active/recent topics, and the user profiles showed all of their posts.

On this new forum software, the same functionality is there, but requires more clicking. I first had to discover the hard to see "View active topics" link near the top. Also, the user profile requires finding the hard to see and somewhat poorly worded "Search user’s posts" link. ("Show all posts by this user" seems more intuitive)

I don't expect any changes, but I just thought it's an interesting transition to go from a very homely forum to this more complicated forum :)

JasonR

Re: Donations to Upgrade Forum Server? - wish list

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

"View Active Topics" allows for the same lurking as before. You will see all of the recently active posts.

You can see which posts you haven't clicked if you're logged in. The square to the right of the post will be red instead of black.

Since a few people have mentioned having the links another color, couldn't we all just agree to make them another color when posting?? After you type the link, just select another color using any of the "font colour" choices to the right of the text box when posting.