Stoa Presentation: A Systems Approach To Resilient Lifestyle Design

Questions and comments
Hristo Botev

Re: Stoa Presentation: A Systems Approach To Resilient Lifestyle Design

Post by Hristo Botev »

James's soap DIY and self-reliance questions were fantastic.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

I mean, the 4 questions Jacob was asked were basically: (1) this isn't really something everything can do, is it?; (2) why would you go DIY when it's more immediately cost effective to purchase the solution?; (3) no one can be 100% self reliant, can they?; and (4) my favorite, wouldn't a top-down approach work better than a bottom-up approach? All really good questions, but man, in some ways it seems like these 4 questions are effectively the overarching themes of this forum. How many times and in how many different ways has Question 4 shown up in the forum, e.g.?

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Nice! Very accessible. I’ve been wanting to share these ideas with my sister for the longest time but they’re not the type to pick up a book so this helps. Shared the link. Also audio quality is greatly improved.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@ jacob:

last on the lights: in addition to bringing up the light levels of the room with the ceiling bulb, add a proper key light by placing a shaded lamp on the desk, to one side (so like the 45deg angle of the video). this light doesn't need to be as potent as it will be closer. you can play with wattages and mathematics (inverse square as @loner pointed out).

what's important here is that the color temps match (people play with colored key lights but takes more expertise, auto color temp on the camera could get tripped up, so stick to one temp).

if the lights are more or less even the camera will auto adjust for intensity. what you want to avoid is burned whites and crushed blacks, so, no extremes.

lastly, upon further consideration, you'd benefit more from incandescent lamps which are 100cri because led quality is not consistent at the consumer level.

ive had good results photographing with "reveal" incandescents, which are rated at 3400k (i think?) whereas regular incandescents are around 2700k. for reference, classic/standard movie lights are 3200k (you used to had to use blue gels for the outdoor effect, now we have leds).

https://www.gelighting.com/led-hd-bulbs/reveal
[eta: these people seem to have gone full led in recent times!?!?]

this setup would be a bit of an energy pig [if incandescent] but @paul wheaton will love you for it :D

[ok led it is, looks like. this is a bit confusing. but check the reveal lights, any kind]

even if using shades etc to diffuse the bulbs, pick the frosted over the clear type when possible.

eta: here's a decent video explaining "high key" and "low key" lights. high key is best for this purpose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHk1RPK5Qc (again you're broadcasting from home, you don't need pro lights)

Loner

Post by Loner »

Just listened to the whole thing. Loved it. Your talk about pre-(post-)consumer systems reminded me of how hunter-gatherers, when they come into contact with wage-work, treat it simply as another form of ressource extraction, and not as a job, much like someone might when he attains the higher levels of the Wheaton Scale.

You also cracked me up at "This is what I call "The Tips and Tricks Mentality", where you create long lists of 200 things you can do to save 3 dollars or something". This article ("Ten tips to save in 2021!") has been written so, so often.

Anyways, great summary of the book/philosophy. The slides were all very well built/presented, too.

I wonder why they closed the commentaries on Youtube though. It would be a useful place for people to exchange ideas.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I thought that 45 min presentation struck a good balance between too little and too much information in that context. Condensing all of that into 30 min would have required you to leave out a few major pieces of the puzzle or otherwise skip a few valuable metaphors/anecdotes. On the other hand, thinning out the information to cover an hour would have reduced message impact while boring too many readers. Great job!

daylen

Post by daylen »

Loner wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:38 pm
It would be a useful place for people to exchange ideas.
YouTube comment sections tend to be better at suppressing ideas than at facilitating their exchange. Skeptical viewers often resort to comments either to confirm their belief that the idea is crazy or to convince themselves the idea is not worth their time. With the comment section closed, skeptical viewers are more likely stumble upon this place in an attempt to prove to themselves that Jacob is crazy. :)

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

daylen wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:18 pm
skeptical viewers are more likely stumble upon this place in an attempt to prove to themselves that Jacob is crazy. :)
you mean he's not? :lol:

this world needs more crazies! the right kind of crazy anyway.

(normal people just follow follow follow)

===

so, here is THE ORIGINAL SOFTBOX
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/30200723 ... -l1000.jpg
(they sell some at walmart for $5, but you can make one with wire, flour paste, and tissue paper)

this one is the studio version, next t the interview chairs :lol: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/321619375 ... -l1000.jpg

this variant would be good for desktop https://warisanlighting.com/wp-content/ ... hoto-8.jpg

you can actually diy a proper softbox with fabric a frame some reflective material etc but again overkill

on the background i'd put that awesome wooden clock and other diy trophies
Last edited by Alphaville on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CS

Post by CS »

The simplest thing you can do to improve the light situation is to turn so you are facing the light, aka the window and move your desk closer. If you can do this during the day, that is cheap and easy. Throw a thin white sheet over the window (temporarily mount) if if the light is too direct.

I've done a lot of photography with professional lights, and while it can looks beautiful, it is also a pain in the butt. You can get good results if you just practice looking at how the light looks on the image and tweak as needed. It can take a while for it to sink it, just like artists have to look at things differently for drawing.

Do a conference with yourself, or a series of camera tests where you take a screen shot of each setup and can compare side to side.

Most pro YouTubers seem to go for the ring lights, which I kind of hate because it obscures their eyes. A diffuser box is much better, but also bulkier and a step above a simple ring light around their camera. I don't think you need to mess with either if you are doing things during the day. Your place has lots of windows.
Last edited by CS on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@cs

i think he's in a basement with a small window judging by the shape and direction of the light?

CS

Post by CS »

@Well, I'd move the interview location upstairs before buying lights but that's just me.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

CS wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:36 pm
@Well, I'd move the interview location upstairs before buying lights but that's just me.
i know --what's wrong with the living room? but a lot of people speaking from their computers these days--zoom, etc., need their offices.

it all started with this famous guy pre-covid :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4f9AYRCZY

daylen

Post by daylen »

Alphaville wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 pm
you mean he's not? :lol:
Well, this is the conclusion I hope they arrive at. Te me, Jacob is one of the least craziest people I know.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

daylen wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:41 pm
Well, this is the conclusion I hope they arrive at. Te me, Jacob is one of the least craziest people I know.
i get what you mean but for me "normal" is the insult.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I suppose normal and crazy do not need to be opposites in my mind, ha.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

btw, i love the new "post-consumer" label. much more encompassing.

CS

Post by CS »

I think if that happened, Jacob would have many questions... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do agree on the key light as a good option. Any household fixture could hold the bulb. 45 degrees off, as you said, and just a bit above eye level to avoid the vampire look that happens when the lighting is too high.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

CS wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:47 pm
I think if that happened, Jacob would have many questions... :lol: :lol: :lol:
the garden gnomes are at it again! :lol:

CS

Post by CS »

@Jacob
Green onions can be self renewing all winter. Just leave the roots intact and stick in a cup. Also, they are pretty.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I think that is upstairs. If that's the basement then there's been some tremendous renovations!