On deleting journals, posts, and accounts

Questions and comments
CS

Re: On deleting journals, posts, and accounts

Post by CS »

@seppia
Go back and reread post #1 from zero. I don't think this is one that can be talked through.

CS

Post by CS »

@Seppia

I thought this one might justify a better explanation than my cryptic response.

Right now, in this country, just to start, hundreds are facing possibly lengthy prison sentences for their role in the insurrection on 1/6. That is before the newly created commission that will pour resources into rooting out many, many more involved.

KKK era laws are now being invoked that have been used in the past to utterly bankrupt hate groups, and the lawsuits are just beginning. The Attorney General (AG) has not even been confirmed yet.

Socially, most people approve of these actions and consequences for those involved in what happened.

There are huge freedom, financial and social stakes to be lost here.

I'm not saying anyone who rushed to delete their blogs is guilty of a crime. However, they have created as association with these issues for better or for ill. Anyone who is motivated can do research on the way back machine and others. The deleters have defacto created this motivation.

I mean, people have been identified by something as innocuous as a patch on their jacket, despite wearing head to toe camouflage. There are people who spend sixty plus hours a week online 'nazi hunting', and they are very effective given little evidence, as some of the jaw-dropping work of the last few weeks has shown.

So expecting an rational answer about an emotional response is screaming at the wind.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

On top of CS's issues, 2020 has been a complete sh!tshow for over-reaction, over-correction, collateral damage, and denial of all of the above.

If one's bubble is fairly mainstream, denial is prevalent, followed by pointing out the examples linked to outgroup.

If one's bubble is fairly independent of the mainstream, 2020 was all about collateral damage, and naked lies about that damage.

My bubble is of the second sort. If I were not extremely cognizant of my bubble, it's curation, and distance from other bubbles, I would be far more concerned about being targeted by mobs of angry children, or their collateral damage. This is not an unreasonable read on the situation.

I think deleting everything is both a strategic and tactical error for all the reasons already listed above.

But it is a reasonable error to make, and if you don't agree, well, we are seeing different things, then.

And that is the reality of 2021. Neighbors live in different worlds.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@CS

This is your explanation of why the other side is crazy and emotional? Holy shit.

Thank you for saying I'm not guilty of a crime, at least that you know, wink,wink. How generous of you.

Your entire response to Seppia is exactly what I am talking about when delusional and morally righteous people feel they have the upper hand. They abuse that power and go on witch hunts. You just said it yourself, that anyone who supported Trump is associated with the riots on the 6th.

I don't know why others have deleted their content, but people like you are the reason I did. I am not ashamed of anything I have said in the past, and if this exchange creates a Streisand Effect than I am telling you now and everybody else I stand behind every word I have ever printed here. Search away.

And for the record, I don't supports riots. Not when Trump supporters do it, or the multitude of others that preceded them. Take some of that righteousness and apply it liberally to the whole of this country and ask yourself why it upsets you when only one side does it. Because you feel it's justified for your cause is not the right answer.

And for Christ sake get off MSNBC and do a little bit of independent thinking. Your positions are boring in their groupthink.

There are reasons other than your spoon fed narratives that people support Trump. Here's a clue: it's not because they are in the KKK. You do realize he got 11 million more votes this go around, don't you? Are you prepared to think you know the inner feelings and motivations of tens of millions of voters? The absolute arrogance of people like you is astounding.

Now you can take pride in getting me fired up or you can go on a journey and critically explore why events and voting patterns occur. I don't think you are evil for supporting Democrats, but I'm not so sure that feeling is reciprocated.

rube

Post by rube »

Alphaville wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:56 pm
ok, i'm being a little cartoonish to make a point, but your different perspectives won't be bridged easily. so you guys might want to agree to disagree, and not take it personally, because clearly you have different ideologies regarding certain things, and you can't convince each other that your own is the right one.

that in itself may not be a solution, but accepting the difference it is at least a start for better communication, which might get us somewhere eventually.
I concur here with Alphaville and would like to add that perhaps currently it is not the right time to discuss this. Maybe it will never be. But I rather see people contribute more, ehm, to relevant ere subjects than seeing people not being able to bridge the political gap, getting frustrated and leave this forum, with or without deleting their post.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I was 0% talking about politics in my points.
The fact that some perfectly normal people feel threatened by the fact that law enforcement is going after bare chested Jamiroquai and his friends for invading the capitol and killing a cop seems a bit weird to me.
Time to move on for me. In the end it’s Jacob’s decision and that’s it.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@Seppia

That is what you got out of that exchange? Any rioter that harms another or destroys property should be jailed. I was trying to make the point that this isn't the first riot we've experienced in the past four years and one should be consistent in their outrage.

CS is implying that I deleted my content because I was complicit in the riots, a defacto "nazi". She also implied I was trying to hide from the repercussions of my actions. Do you have any idea how insulting those accusations are? At least she gave you your answer you were searching for this whole time, so there is that. I don't think I could have provided a more perfect example of what I was trying to convey.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Option(6) seems to be the way to go.

See viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11859