Questions and comments
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Reminder: The quote function is NOT a reply button

Post by jacob »

jacob wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:58 pm
2) DON'T USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION AS A REPLY BUTTON! Some people use phones or textreaders to keep up, so please don't abuse the quote function. Don't quote the entire post you're responding to. Because if you do, people have to scroll through all that only to learn that you're just responding to the post above :( IF you're responding to the entire post (which is the case in most cases), just start your post with @theirusername. Then respond. Only use the quote function when/if responding to specific paragraphs or sentences and edit everything else out.
I realize that this is not the way it's done in most places anymore and that it's easy to be lazy but please try a little harder here. It's usually the same few people all the time.

Alphaville

Re: Reminder: The quote function is NOT a reply button

Post by Alphaville »

ok sorry 🙈

(i like getting quoted when replied to so i see the alert, but no-words quote would suffice)

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I'm guilty too. If I'm going to quote someone, reply directly to them, or mention them by name, it just seems like a reasonable courtesy to use that function so they are aware. I know I don't check every thread I've ever commented in every time a new post is added. I do try to trim all but the most essential part relative to my response, but I shall desist.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

IlliniDave wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm
I do try to trim all but the most essential part relative to my response, but I shall desist.
That is the way quoting was intended to be used, so no reason to stop doing that.

If the goal is simply to get someone's attention when responding to the entire post, just remove the entire quoted text except the stuff in the square brackets. There are many examples of that around in various threads.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

jacob wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:36 pm
10-4

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

It’s built into the forum. It has an auto behavior. Is this posted on every sub forum? Tall order isn’t it to ask people to not use the built in feature the way it works? And I read on phone all the time, there’s no UI issue with reading quotes for me...

And sometimes I want to read that quote, rather than backtrack or scroll to find wtf this person is replying to.

As for text readers, how does the quote feature (long form, I.e. the way it works by default), inhibit that? I don’t use one, but I can’t imagine there’s no skip forward feature. You’ve gotten requests from people with text readers and on phones to disable the quote feature?

From an accessibility and UX perspective, I would imagine a popular forum plugin like the one on this site has already addressed this issue in their code?

Hurts experience as well for people who are on the phone like me right now, having to trim the built in quote feature with thumbs... so it’s the acceptable length.

What’s the penalty for breaking this rule? Ban? Warning?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Viktor K wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:19 pm
And sometimes I want to read that quote, rather than backtrack or scroll to find wtf this person is replying to.
i do the same because hunting and pecking for the original reference can be the real hurdle, especially if it's far upthread.

but generally there's no real need to quote everything else you're not replying to.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The "auto behavior" of including everything is a starting point for the responder to manually edit out the irrelevant parts when quoting. The alternative would be a set of empty quote brackets leaving the responder to manually copy&paste in the needed quote which is harder for the user.

Putting in some effort is just a courtesy to the readers. See http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule4.html

Quote means quote. Not carbon copy.

The penalty or rather consequence is that I'll delete the entire quoted text in the hopes that the person will get the point. Deliberate violations would eventually just lead me to delete the entire post willy-nilly. Limited patience and all that.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Alphaville wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:45 pm
i do the same because hunting and pecking for the original reference can be the real hurdle, especially if it's far upthread.
If you click on the up arrow after 'wrote:', it takes you to the post in question.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

jennypenny wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:13 pm
wow! that's a new one for me. i had never noticed it, but just tried, it works. thanks! :D

nomadscientist

Post by nomadscientist »

This feels like a rule that dates back to feature phones or at least really low res screens.

Today you can get a quality smartphone basically for free second hand with a less popular make or even with a popular make if it's a few generations old (they work basically the same).

Otoh I guess some here may have deeper objections to owning such things than just the cost. So if it's indeed still valid, I will follow it.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@nomadscientist - Ha! I'm sure it dates back to the telnet/mailing list days before Eternal September. It's just very annoying to have to scroll through lengthy quotes only to realize that the person is just responding generally without citing anything in particular. Kinda like getting a 2ft long receipt from Walgreens for buying a pack of chewing gum.

I can see how it's convenient for those who only log in rarely to read a select number of posts, but if you're (or at least if I'm) scrolling through a thread, it's tiresome to read a post followed by a post quoting the entire previous post adding a few sentences at the bottom... this following by a third post quoting the person quoting the first post again for a second time. Deeper and deeper as each post practically repeats the entire thread before it. (This is why the quoting depth ceiling has been set to 1.)

I suspect the original rule came about because the old style of quoting was to indent the quoted text. Quotes of quotes were indented again and so on. This eventually made a thread completely unreadable lest some care was taken in formatting when responding. Not that yellowing is much better.