ERE Audiobook

Questions and comments
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: ERE Audiobook

Post by jacob »

Well, good news then.

Some months ago, I did sign a contract with a publisher. They're still working on it. The first plan was to have it out by fall 2020, but COVID might have delayed things.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I get better focus if i'm somehow busy on a menial task. So +1 for thé audiobook.
And do you have any plan for publishing a translation?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

No translations. People keep asking me but I still don't think the economics is there. Usually professional translators are paid by the sentence or by the page which requires a big layout. Someone doing it for a cut of the royalties would not see much return on their invested time.

Typical translation cost would be 10cents/work and the ERE book has ~100k words, so $10,000 for the translation. Put it another way, I need to sell about 3000 books in a given language to make the translation worth it.

My non-economic argument is that the ERE book is written at a high technical level and that anyone who has the reading comprehension for that likely also reads English. Of course I could be wrong and there's a giant untapped market of highly educated non-English speakers.

liberty

Post by liberty »

The fact that the book is at a high technical level is just another argument to translate it. Only a tiny portion of the world's population reads English, included lots of higher educated people. I think this is especially the case for Spanish, since it's so widely spoken as a mother tongue (more widely than English btw). Even though a typical translation costs $10,000, you can find people in South America who can do this much cheaper, and they really need work now during lock down and high unemployment rates.

PoorButWealthy

Post by PoorButWealthy »

jacob wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:45 am
Well, good news then.

Some months ago, I did sign a contract with a publisher. They're still working on it. The first plan was to have it out by fall 2020, but COVID might have delayed things.
This is great news. I've reread the book about 10 times (and it gets better every time I reread it due to the nature of the book), but it's also great that soon one can listen to the book while working out, dishing, walking etc. I would assume that there's a healthy market for the audio version of the book, especially if it's available from services like Audible.

By the way, I read somewhere that you're working on a new book? Are you able to tell us something about this project?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

It will be available from Audible as far as I understand.

WRT the new book, I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. It's currently on the back burner.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I think there are a lot of educated french, italian and spanish speakers that are very unconfortable Reading english. In addition, i think ere would provide a great solution for the problems many french are having. I'de be glad to do it for a cut. If you thrust my understanding and writing abilities.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Jean wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:11 am
If you thrust my understanding and writing abilities.
:lol: I do trust your abilities, but what a place for a typo.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Muphry's law strikes again. It's almost inconceivable how hard this is to avoid and how much grief about 0.02% of the readers will give you because of it, so any translation will most likely be done through a publisher/agency if it ever happens.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Ahah, i could talk a professional translater into it.

conor

Post by conor »

I'd rather have a podcast version of the blog. The book is way too complex for an audiobook. Would you get an audiobook of an academic philosophy book? Not me.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The recording is finished and we're just putting the final touches on it. Should be available in a matter of days/few weeks.

The text has been edited and optimized for better listening rather than reading and referencing. So far I've had a chance to listen to the preamble and it reads well with footnotes being incorporated fluently. I'll keep you posted as I know more details.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

conor wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:56 pm
I'd rather have a podcast version of the blog. The book is way too complex for an audiobook. Would you get an audiobook of an academic philosophy book? Not me.
i looked into some nietzsche audiobooks just the other day, as it seemed an interesting variation to keep around, but the reader’s voice was a turnoff—sounded like a baby. so i passed.

but “the bed of procustes” on audio was fun! i laughed so hard.

and to answer your question, yeah, i’d buy a complex nonfiction audiobook, just like i’d attend a class on a complex subject where the professor talks.

complexity is not the problem. not in the sense of complex ideas. unreadability is the problem.

e.g. “decisive” is an idea-rich book but reads great outloud.

but “the 4 hour workweek,” while written in a conversational style, was at times a nightmare to listen to because of the long-ass hyperlinks embedded throughout as the book progresses: doubleyoodoubbleyoudlubleyood dot somethingsonethingdomedpthing dot teevee forwardslash something forwardslash morenoise dot aychtee-emmell. huh?

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Alphaville wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:44 am
i looked into some nietzsche audiobooks just the other day, as it seemed an interesting variation to keep around, but the reader’s voice was a turnoff—sounded like a baby. so i passed.
Librivox.org has plenty of his works for free like this one:
https://librivox.org/ecce-homo-by-friedrich-nietzsche/
Last edited by Dream of Freedom on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Dream of Freedom wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:29 pm
Librivox.org has plenty of his works for free like this one:
https://librivox.org/ecce-homo-by-friedrich-nietzsche/
thanks! that’s a nice website...

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Will it be on Audible? I'd definitely use a credit for it.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Yes, the plan is to start with more direct sales at bookfunnel.com at a lower price (fewer middlemen) but it will eventually be on Audible.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Good news. If you post a pre-order link, maybe more people here will commit as well, bumping it up the sales list on launch. If it becomes available via overdrive or hoopla, let us know and I'll request it through the library too.

For what it's worth, the Audible credit model means I don't care about the price. I got 12 credits for $80, so every book is ~$7. The centralized location to manage my audio books creates lock in. It not only works on all my devices (phone, kindle, fire stick, computer, etc.), but syncs my reading position there as well. I never even consider other vendors. From my perspective, Audible is the entire audiobook ecosystem. I imagine that is true for many people.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Scott 2 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:28 am
From my perspective, Audible is the entire audiobook ecosystem. I imagine that is true for many people.
It is for me. I buy myself a bundle of credits for my birthday every year and I've never regretted it.

I'll drop a credit for ERE when it's on audible, but I really wish jacob had narrated it. I get so much more out of non-fiction books when the author narrates it (most of the time). You get the inflection and emotion behind the words, and it's easier to grok what the author thinks is most important.

@jacob -- You should do a limited edition podcast where you break down the chapters and discuss the nuances of each topic. Honestly, I'd drop money on that before buying the audible book.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.