N. Korea - This Time For Real?

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
TimeTravel

N. Korea - This Time For Real?

Post by TimeTravel »

Headline reads "Kim Says He’ll Give Up Weapons if U.S. Promises Not to Invade". Sounds kind of like surrender to me.
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, told President Moon Jae-in of South Korea when they met that he would abandon his nuclear weapons if the United States would agree to formally end the Korean War and promise that it would not invade his country, a South Korean government spokesman said Sunday.

In a faith-building gesture ahead of a summit meeting with President Trump, Mr. Kim also said he would invite experts and journalists from South Korea and the United States to watch the shutdown next month of his country’s only known underground nuclear test site.

The comments by Mr. Kim were made on Friday when the leaders of the two Koreas met at Panmunjom, a village on their shared border, the spokesman, Yoon Young-chan, said on Sunday, providing additional details of the meeting.

“I know the Americans are inherently disposed against us, but when they talk with us, they will see that I am not the kind of person who would shoot nuclear weapons to the south, over the Pacific or at the United States,” Mr. Kim told Mr. Moon, according to Mr. Yoon’s account of the meeting.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/29/worl ... clear.html

Pretty much a layup the rest of the way now for the Dennis Rodman summit.

IlliniDave

Re: N. Korea - This Time For Real?

Post by IlliniDave »

Hard to believe it will be that easy. I wonder if he doesn't see himself as the future leader of a unified Korea somehow. Or alternatively, if they are putting enough pressure on China via "trade war" talk that China is pressuring KJU to play nice. Or maybe he's just having an Eddie Haskell moment.

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

IlliniDave wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:44 am
Hard to believe it will be that easy. I wonder if he doesn't see himself as the future leader of a unified Korea somehow. Or alternatively, if they are putting enough pressure on China via "trade war" talk that China is pressuring KJU to play nice. Or maybe he's just having an Eddie Haskell moment.
From KJU's perspective, the latest nuke experiment blew up (literally) as that caused a mountain collapse. Better for him to deal now before someone calls his bluff. Eddie Haskell moment is a good description.

I think the biggest challenge for Trump will be to not get in the way of a real effort for peace. As if the two Korea's unite and they get along with China, will Trump promote calm? Not one of his strengths. Only time will tell.

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

There goes the layup. Looks the goodwill is starting to fade.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Even if they do meet, I see them as being too distracted by the other's hair to remain focused on the nuke issue.

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

I actually thought KJU would decided nukes aren't worth it and come totally clean. That's the idealist in me. But now looks like he said, he said. Two different ideas of what an agreement means.

The may be an impasse as the US isn't gonna stop military drills and N. Korea isn't gonna surrender nukes for fear of pulling a Gaddafi or Saddam in the end. That's the realist in me.

Or Trump my just have the meeting, make no real deal, but all that the biggest success ever.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

If Xi gets the trade concessions he wants from Trump, he'll put the screws to NK and get them to negotiate.

There are rumors that NK's nuclear test site was more of an assisted suicide than a collapse, and this is NK's way of saving face by offering to dismantle it as a good faith gesture.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I think the annual temper tantrums when the USFK/SK do their exercises are mostly reflexive and were expected. I do think KJU fears for his life but I would never trust a sovereign power with nuclear capability to give it up. Governments just don't do that even if they say they will.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons and look at how that turned out.

chenda

Post by chenda »

As did South Africa.

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

The latest as of today...

Trump pretty much says to KJU, "Give me that Nobel Peace prize or you will be decimated" :roll: .

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

The summit just got cancelled. At least for now.
Guess a Nobel Peace Prize is overrated anyhow.
But the President of South Korea sure deserved an honorable mention for seriously trying.

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

TimeTravel wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 am
Pretty much a layup the rest of the way now for the Dennis Rodman summit.
I was just kidding when I posted this about the Dennis Rodman summit. But looks like he plans on going to N. Korea and may actually have some type of role. With all the odd happenings going on, why not? 8-) .