Charting the Human Cost of Different Types of Energy

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
EMJ

Post by EMJ »

... numbers represent deaths in the developed world from severe accidents only, where at least five people were killed. The accidents have occurred at many stages of the energy supply chain, from coal mining to shipping oil to accidents at actual power plants.
It’s important to note that every-day energy use from fossil fuels kills far more people than accidents. By one estimate from 2000, pollution from power plants results in at least 30,000 premature deaths every year [6] in the United States alone.
http://www.propublica.org/blog/item/cha ... -of-energy

Surio

Post by Surio »

The article may have a point. I was reminded of the Tennessee ash spill when I looked at that infographic.
---

halcyon

Post by halcyon »

I think that's a fascinating view on energy. It's interesting to note that the energy sources with the least total deaths would actually be the most catastrophic if something did happen... How long should we press our luck?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Nice charts except... they aren't weighted for amount of energy, so deaths/kW-HR is unknown.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

nm... already mentioned