Mental Health:The Canary in the Coal Mine

Should you squeeze the toothpaste tube in the middle or from the end?
slowtraveler

Re: Mental Health:The Canary in the Coal Mine

Post by slowtraveler » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 pm

@George
Excuse me, I misread your original response.

I've seen some say that medication plays a role in rebalancing brain imbalances but I see it as more of covering a symptom.

Schools could be a place to build community while building school and they function in that way for some but for most I have seen, they are hostile and more focused on rigid conformity than building community.

When I was young, I thought of community in an idealized sense. Now I see that East Asia seems to have a more effective community building culture. Shame seems to play a strong role here. Caring for others and taking more responsibility. Almost forcing it on those close. Saying no is much harder here within a family. It seems to merit a legitimate reason. Ie- can't go to the store because they are closed, here's their phone number, they open at 7.

I think shame actually has more benefits than I initially gave it credit for. Not saying it's perfect by any means but it helps cement groups together and create a stronger sense of community. I've seen far less homelessness and crazies here in months than I would in just a day walking around the bay area.

So in some way incorporating a sense of responsibility to care for those who cared for you as a youngster and feeling shame if you let them down by not caring back for them seems to be a part of the solution space that works in Eastern civilizations but lacks the same degree of power in urbanized Western Civilization.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 pm

slowtraveler wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 pm
So in some way incorporating a sense of responsibility to care for those who cared for you as a youngster and feeling shame if you let them down by not caring back for them seems to be a part of the solution space that works in Eastern civilizations but lacks the same degree of power in urbanized Western Civilization.
and sub-urbanized. brute thinks that space is a legitimate factor here - most families in Asia seem to live very close together. it's not as easy to "escape" from the family as it is in the West. young humans live at home much longer, often until marriage or even after.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:39 pm

@ slow traveler,

We discussed urban efficiencies in forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/viewto ... =13&t=9251

Being closer together causes initial build costs to be lower, but logistics of working around all those people causes maintenance of urban and suburban infrastructure to be much higher. This is perfectly clear if you look at costs and benefits of local government.

But I can only speak to US cities, only having experience in the US.

All of your examples of efficiency were based on cash costs of hiring people to do things for you. This seems more a matter of your arbitrage than urban efficiency, but I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other.