White supremacy run amok

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
BRUTE

Re: White supremacy run amok

Post by BRUTE »

GandK wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:07 am
I wonder how many of the 50 states could, on paper, support themselves. I mean everything: food, energy, finances, a positive import/export balance, etc., not just tax flow.
probably not too many, but neither could most small countries. they could (and should) still trade, have division of labor..

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 am
Again, you just have to be no further right than Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.
Spartan_Warrior previously defined "right" and "left" purely in economic terms. thus it would be 100% orthogonal to race and white supremacy, and therefore have nothing to do with this. does Spartan_Warrior see how his vague definition of terms leads to confusion here?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Riggerjack wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:40 am
Asians - 84% chance of two parents in family - $75k median income
Whites - 75% chance of two parents in family - $60k median income
Hispanic/Latino - 60% chance of two parent family - $??k median income
Blacks - 35% chance of two parent family - $36k median income
to brute, the interesting thought is: through what mechanisms or dynamics does the class get propagated or filtered through?

brute is pretty certain that no employer thinks "oh, a black human, probably should receive half the salary the asian human got". and there are of course extremely successful black humans, even in industries where that's not very common.

brute suspects it's secondary and tertiary effects. intact family is likely one of those effects. single parent upbringing means less time spent with parents, statistically likely less education, less economic stability and therefore opportunity to find interests and develop them.. doing extracurricular activities to get in to Harvard is probably hard if there is no food in the fridge for tonight's dinner. Maslow.

but because humans are so illogical and allergic to statistical discussions, as seen with the Google Memo, any mention of this is probably already considered racist.

this is one human habit that has always confused brute. just because some conservative humans argue for two-parent families doesn't mean they hate single black moms. but isn't it pretty undeniable that single parenting is harder than double parenting? why do humans always have to moralize everything?

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

@Brute:

Well, I am pretty sure I also said the left-right economic dynamic tends to be predictive as to the other dynamics (and if I didn't, I should have), and that I was talking in broad political theory terms, specifically not US terms (whereas admittedly the opposite is true now). I also seem to recall ultimately acknowledging that I used the term in a way that is not commonly accepted, and I don't deny the terms are vague and can have various meanings. What I don't see is the point of your comment here or how it undermines my arguments in this thread.

Make it "more socially conservative, more authoritarian, and more capitalistic than Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and every other mainstream conservative or libertarian-style Republican" if that makes the meaning clearer. Though, I think it was pretty clear.

Re: Single-parent families

Yes, that must certainly be a factor in outcomes. Are there theories as to the cause of the disparities? I would be curious as to whether these disparities correlate to similar disparities in incarceration rates and military service. Hard to raise or keep a family when you're in jail for dealing weed or overseas because there were no other apparent options, etc.

Moreover, you can extrapolate the disparities in income that C40 also posted in a similar manner. It is hard to raise a family without income. This is the same cause (inadequate income to support a family) suggested by some to be behind lowered marriage rates for millennials across the board.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Riggerjack wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:40 am
Now this is a white supremacy thread, so a certain amount of race plays into that, clearly. But this is not the only thread we speak past each other on, dealing with the same topics. But in each of these threads, we speak of race, as a proxy for the real issues, instead of the real issues.

Why is that?
Because its easier to paint society's ills on a particular race (sounds nazi-ish doesn't it?) than to look at the underlying causes and the poor choices made by individuals who behave suboptimally in the richest country on the planet.