Disagreements over increasing the retirement age: New Thread

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
B

Post by B »

dragoncar said:
Sure, some liken SS to a messed up savings account, but we all know it's really a tax that goes towards the welfare of the elderly.
Everyone in my social circle of peers (all aged around 25-30), knows to kiss their SS tax money goodbye. However, I'm not sure it's going towards the welfare of the elderly. It would be nice to even be sure of that.
The SS tax is just that - a tax. They can call it what they want, but the government will use your tax dollars however they want (shady or not). Sometimes I think people who argue otherwise are just pretending.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

Raising the retirement age and raising the SS tax because people are living longer is fine. Raising the retirement age and raising SS tax because the government decides to use the fund for other government ventures is not ok. Why would I want to pay more SS tax so that there is more money in the fund for the government to do what they want with it? Makes no sense to me.

Surio

Post by Surio »

FWIW, I've decided to consolidate the comments and discussions at my blog comments and this thread into a final post to bring things to some form of closure.
If this thread gets revisited later, this might some form of closure in loop with the final one included as well.