Russian-American journalist speaking about Trump, Russia, and conspiracy thinking

Should you squeeze the toothpaste tube in the middle or from the end?
scriptbunny

Russian-American journalist speaking about Trump, Russia, and conspiracy thinking

Post by scriptbunny » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:56 am

Russian-American journalist, Masha Gessen, giving a lecture at the Wheeler Centre about Trump, Russian conspiracies that surround him, and how the notion of American exceptionalism leads us astray and prevents us from seeing American political events in a global context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnqyjlPaKfw

I've watched a lot of Masha Gessen's videos at this point, and I think she has a lot of interesting things to say about Putin's worldview and the structure of Russian propaganda. I think one of the most interesting points I found in this particular lecture was how the failure of American imagination made it so nobody could not think of how a Trump presidency would operate and thereby in their mind diminished the likelihood of it occurring. Also how the narrative around Trump regarding Russian interference is borne out of a desire to other Trump as something other than a "thoroughly American creation"'' and how propagation of such narratives without sound evidence will only serve to diminish the credibility of news sources and further erode our understanding of truth.

Another talk of hers I found interesting was on Russian propaganda, framing a story, and the totalitarian mindset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRngbbSGYLA

Here she walks through a tour given to her at a KGB museum and dissects in what ways stories are partially told or framed to fit within a particular narrative. She runs down some of the implications made during the tour "All countries are the same," "No one has claim to the moral high ground," "There is no division between past and present," that help to erode the truth and perpetuate a totalitarian mindset. Also why Russia is more apt to fall into totalitarian patterns than other countries.

Anyway, I found these useful to me to grok Trump's significance wrt our relations with Russia and the media frenzy surrounding him. I thought others here might like them as well.

fiby41

Re: Russian-American journalist speaking about Trump, Russia, and conspiracy thinking

Post by fiby41 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:32 am

I've watched a lot of Putin videos at this point. Most of his peculiarities can be explained by him not having to worry about a time frame of 4 years to be reelected. He's been in power since 2000 alternating between Prime Minister and President.

Democracy is not a panacea and definitely not for every country. A country's geography influences the form of government the most. Russia cannot exist as one country without a totalitarian government. The closest Russia had come to parliamentary democracy was when the Duma was instituted. But it was still under the imperial rule and the Tzarist regime collapsed soon after. It was dissolved after the revolution within 10 years of its inception.

saving-10-years

Re: Russian-American journalist speaking about Trump, Russia, and conspiracy thinking

Post by saving-10-years » Thu May 04, 2017 6:31 am

@scriptbunny ... I think I get the point you are trying to make but this para did lose me ...
I've watched a lot of Masha Gessen's videos at this point, and I think she has a lot of interesting things to say about Putin's worldview and the structure of Russian propaganda. I think one of the most interesting points I found in this particular lecture was how the failure of American imagination made it so nobody could not think of how a Trump presidency would operate and thereby in their mind diminished the likelihood of it occurring. Also how the narrative around Trump regarding Russian interference is borne out of a desire to other Trump as something other than a "thoroughly American creation"'' and how propagation of such narratives without sound evidence will only serve to diminish the credibility of news sources and further erode our understanding of truth.
You've got scant punctuation here and one too many negatives (I think). Maybe a missing word or two? This could be an interesting discussion given @fiby41's take on Putin (which sounds reasonably accurate to me - who is no sort of expert).

scriptbunny

Post by scriptbunny » Thu May 04, 2017 6:38 am

tl;dr: People didn't think Trump could possibly win, so they rely on Russian conspiracy theories to explain it. Also, false equivalency is a commonly used propaganda tool.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:25 pm

scriptbunny wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 6:38 am
tl;dr: People didn't think Trump could possibly win, so they rely on Russian conspiracy theories to explain it. Also, false equivalency is a commonly used propaganda tool.
That's a great point. Also, why don't I ever hear that "Russian interference" is to blame for Republicans retaining the House, Senate, and for being in control of two thirds of the state legislatures in the country?