Terrorism

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
fiby41

Re: Terrorism

Post by fiby41 »

enigmaT120 wrote:I fantasize about women who say "Yes."
Yeah I've also been told no but it was more like "No no no!" :?

Ego

Post by Ego »

I'm not sure this deserves its own topic so I'll post it here where it somewhat fits...

When America's Melting Pot Works

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2017 ... nt=event25

In a world torn by religious bitterness, the United States has repeatedly managed to assimilate clashing faiths. It was true for Quakers and Baptists in the 18th century, for Catholics in the 19th, and for Mormons and Jews in the 20th. It is proving true yet again in this century for American Muslims.

The Pew Research Center recently released the results of a detailed survey of Muslims in the United States — the third it has conducted since 2007....

US Muslims are replicating the age-old trajectory of religious minority communities: They adopt American values, reject fundamentalism, and form ties of friendship and love across religious lines.

In the latest poll, an overwhelming 92 percent of Muslims agree with the patriotic statement “I am proud to be an American.” When asked how much they feel they have in common with most Americans, 60 percent of Muslims say “a lot” and another 28 percent say “some.” Only 36 percent say that all or most of their friends are fellow Muslims, a striking drop from the 49 percent who said so in the 2011 survey — and far less than the 95 percent of Muslims who say so in other countries.

---------

The US system works if we let it work. We can argue about all of the ugly that comes out of America. This is certainly one of the most beautiful things we produce.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I can't read the article you linked, but my experience living, working and being in relationship with Muslim-Americans absolutely supports your summary of the poll. In fact, even in the Muslim majority recent-immigrant community where I taught, the rapidity with which the children assimilated was almost shocking. And I wouldn't even say that compulsory education was the primary factor, even though I would sometimes amuse myself and the children by singing the last line "the land of the free, and the home of the brave" with emphasis when it was played over the speaker system every Friday morning. The kids just love everything that the American market makes readily available, like Disney movies, cars, rap music, and pizza.

Inter-marriage is also rampant because Islam straight-forwardly allows its male adherents to marry any female who is "a person of the book", which means anybody who belongs to a religion of the Abrahamic line including Judaism and all varieties of Christianity. Men who want to marry Islamic females within the faith, are required to convert/revert, but since Islam is a religion entered into through personal declaration, with no ultimate authority on the matter, this isn't a huge barrier. I work with one very nice young woman from Yemen who is engaged to a young man from Albania. Also, there is the not insignificant African-American community which sort of bridges the difference.

I have heard and read complaints from 1st generation Muslim-American immigrants that their kids are too rapidly abandoning their cultural heritage, and I would definitely agree that, for better or worse, this is what is happening. It is really fun and interesting to observe this chaotic churn which produces novelties such as Ghost Pizza, Arabic Hip-Hop, and little girls running around on a basketball court with pink Converse peeking out from under their conservative dress. My Persian-American ex was just barely able to get his teenage daughters to agree to at least not wear tank tops in public (for some reason, he thought upper arm exposure was the worst-lol) , and I am quite certain that they did whatever they pleased as soon as they were out of his sight. These cultures are all more yelling and laughing and okay with being crowded, so most of what I witness is very much like in some movie or TV show featuring members of other immigrant groups with somebody yelling "Eat, eat! Where are you going! Answer me!" as somebody else who behaves like Vinnie Barbarino laughs and runs out the door to do as he pleases.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:03 am
for some reason, he thought upper arm exposure was the worst
sufficiently brown upper arms are kryptonite. wise man.

Ego

Post by Ego »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:03 am
It is really fun and interesting to observe this chaotic churn which produces novelties such as Ghost Pizza, Arabic Hip-Hop, and little girls running around on a basketball court with pink Converse peeking out from under their conservative dress.
Chaotic churn. Yes. Hopefully we can continue to fill the pot with new and interesting people to feed your chaotic churn.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Ego wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:36 pm
chaotic churn.
dear humans, can some members of the species please cross-breed Persians and Asians. puh-leeeeaze. come on.