Political correctness run amok

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Political correctness run amok

Post by jacob »

If you look closely at the jumper settings for late ATA or SCSI drives, you might uncover another reason to be offended.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/2 ... term.reut/

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

jacob wrote:If you look closely at the jumper settings for late ATA or SCSI drives, you might uncover another reason to be offended.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/2 ... term.reut/
Grrr, don't get me started on THAT one! At the request of some temporary part-time staff who saw a computer boot up in a Parks office, the City decided to HIDE the bootup sequence on some 3,500 computers requiring visits to some 300 locations. At that time, I think our billing rate was $80/hr. Your tax dollars at work!

workathome

Post by workathome »

I got a starbucks gift card for Halloween and I was serious p/o-ed. I am very offended they'd stereotype me as a middle-class white person who likes overpriced drive through coffee.

GandK

Post by GandK »

@workathome I'm a middle-class white person who loves overpriced drive through coffee. :oops:

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Forget about the coffee. It's all about the cups the coffee is served in!
https://www.facebook.com/joshua.feuerst ... 711145714/

GandK

Post by GandK »

jacob wrote:Forget about the coffee. It's all about the cups the coffee is served in!
https://www.facebook.com/joshua.feuerst ... 711145714/
<facepalm>

Awesome. Yes, absolutely. The kingdom of the Lord will fall to pieces if we don't get little reindeer illustrations on our disposable coffee cups this year. Bad Starbucks! Bad!

No wonder so many people hate us Christians. People are dying, starving, etc. and we've taken to social media to complain... about cardboard.

I am embarrassed.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

So what should I call the master and slave cylinders of my hydraulic brake and clutch systems?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Leader and follower, apparently. Because the political lens is a-okay. Also try, employer and employee, senior and junior, manager and assistant, etc.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

enigmaT120 wrote:So what should I call the master and slave cylinders of my hydraulic brake and clutch systems?
"Top" and "bottom" I believe are the proper euphemisms. Not that I would know about that . . . :lol:

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I'm not good at being PC anyway. No point in starting now.

When I refer to car parts it's usually in much more abusive terms than master or slave.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

GandK wrote: No wonder so many people hate us Christians. People are dying, starving, etc. and we've taken to social media to complain... about cardboard.
I am embarrassed.
It happens to me all the time.

Dragline, that was funny. I wonder if the guys at Napa auto parts will think so.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I wonder if the hypersensitivity is due to living in 'Yellowland' for too long ... http://fusion.net/story/200747/living-in-code-yellow/

Not only does trying to live in Yellowland harm you physically, it changes how you interact with your environment and it impairs your judgment. You forget what’s normal and start seeing the enemy everywhere.

GandK

Post by GandK »

@jennypenny

I wonder if moms live in Yellowland anyway. Every stranger potentially wants to run off with my kids. I remember thinking that discomfort would fade once they were teenagers, but then they start driving. Then it's every wackjob on the road potentially will hit and kill my kids. I don't see how that feeling will ever go away. :(

I feel that gnawing uneasiness when walking around alone, too, especially at night. And I'm not alone in that. It's especially disturbing after growing up in the sticks, in a place where I knew I was safe. I wonder if I'll ever feel that way again. I wonder if the anomaly was that I felt that way in the first place. I wonder how much of my safe feeling back then was ignorance, and how much of my fear now is ignorance.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I know some conservative Christian groups denounce yoga, but now the other side of the spectrum thinks it's not PC ... http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/11/20/fre ... ral-issues

Student leaders have pulled the mat out from 60 University of Ottawa students, ending a free on-campus yoga class over fears the teachings could be seen as a form of "cultural appropriation." ...

The centre goes on to say, "Yoga has been under a lot of controversy lately due to how it is being practiced," and which cultures those practices "are being taken from."

The centre official argues since many of those cultures "have experienced oppression, cultural genocide and diasporas due to colonialism and western supremacy ... we need to be mindful of this and how we express ourselves while practising yoga."

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

jennypenny wrote:I wonder if the hypersensitivity is due to living in 'Yellowland' for too long ... http://fusion.net/story/200747/living-in-code-yellow/

Not only does trying to live in Yellowland harm you physically, it changes how you interact with your environment and it impairs your judgment. You forget what’s normal and start seeing the enemy everywhere.
I would guess that there is a strong correlation between the occupants of Yellowland and how much TV news they consume.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Dragline wrote:
jennypenny wrote:I wonder if the hypersensitivity is due to living in 'Yellowland' for too long ... http://fusion.net/story/200747/living-in-code-yellow/

I would guess that there is a strong correlation between the occupants of Yellowland and how much TV news they consume.
Yep. I wonder how much we can counteract the influence of fear-mongering by seeking out stories that show the opposite. I thought of this story when I read GandK's response above. Mom buys her blind child a bicycle for Christmas.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... 544/batman

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

The long-form interviews you find in many podcasts today and some radio programs like that are actually a pretty good antidote, because they tend to leave you with the more accurate impression that there are lots of people out there doing a lot of interesting things, having individual successes and failures and just getting on in life without extreme drama or a series of horrible events. This is way closer to reality.

The other thing I frequently reference whenever somebody gets excited about something bad happening are the references of how likely it is to happen or whether the difference between two things is actually meaningful. For example, when you hear a report that something is "10 times more likely" than something else -- frequent in headlines about food and diseases -- you need to look at the actually likelihoods. A difference between a 1% and 10% chance is probably meaningful. A difference between 0.00001% and 0.0001% is almost certainly not. But I think this is an INTJ thing.

I saw some interesting contrasting distortions the other day regarding terrorism. A US-based publication showed a graph that indicated that "world-wide terrorism is on the rise" with an ominous upward spiking line. An English one -- I think it was the Economist -- broke it down to show that terrorism has risen steeply in conflict areas like Pakistan, Iraq, Nigeria and Syria, but is actually way down in Western societies.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Dragline wrote:I would guess that there is a strong correlation between the occupants of Yellowland and how much TV news they consume.
It affects indirectly by simply being around yellowlanders who consume too much news, even if you don't consume any personally. Its weird but I can always sense when something "big" has happened because I come into work and everyone is jerky and on edge.