Candidate-matching test

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
GandK

Candidate-matching test

Post by GandK »

G and I have had some fun debates with a candidate-matching test we recently took:

ISideWith.com

All current Republican and Democratic candidates are listed, and you get a percentage result of how much you agree with each candidate, weighted more toward issues you care more about and less toward those you care less about.

The quiz itself is kind of a pain because you have to keep expanding things. Expand to see all possible answers, expand to see all possible questions, etc. However, at the end it spits out not only a list of all the candidates and the degree to which you match up with them ideologically, but also several other nifty charts/graphs/maps. Here's my end result, so you can see what all it returns: I side with... Ted Cruz?*** Scroll down past all the smiling faces to see the good stuff.

Comparing our results has led to some great conversations, because we can see the intricacies of our different responses to these questions. Granted, we're political nerds. Maybe just nerds. But it's been fun.

***Please don't anybody haul out the tar and feathers because of my test answers. There's some trust going on here! :D

ether

Re: Candidate-matching test

Post by ether »

It's a great website!
Thorough, quantitative, and free of bias.

Showed it to my friends and family and we learned a lot about each other.

I learned from this site that Donald Trump really doesn't have a political platform yet!
Pretty terrifying considering that he tops all the polls.

My results were 77% Biden: http://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016 ... 1358345080

susswein

Post by susswein »

I'm a 92% bernie.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Figuring in advance that I wouldn't find a solid match, I answered the extended version...

About 88% Biden and then 87% Sanders. Clinton is down at 84%.
Agreeing with 47% of Oregonians and 49% of Portlanders.

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

88% Jeb, 88% Rubio, 82% Rand, 76% Bernie

I want to like Rubio, but can't stand that he supported RAWA (Restoration of America's Wire Act).

Chad

Post by Chad »

The big problem with this test is the assumption that only certain answers to each issue are possible. There are more than two possible solutions. The "Yes, but" or "No, but" choices aren't anywhere near good enough.

I got Sanders, but have no desire to vote for him (or any of them for that matter). There isn't a candidate on either side that represents my views.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I drew Bernie on most things. But I side with Donald Trump on educational issues.

And if you disagree with that, "YOU'RE UGLY AND YOU HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE!" :lol:

GandK

Post by GandK »

slimicy wrote:I want to like Rubio, but can't stand that he supported RAWA (Restoration of America's Wire Act).
That's my main objection to Rubio, too: technology. His positions on both Net Neutrality and wiretapping are also awful. (Also I wouldn't forcibly remove illegal aliens, I'd just make it extremely illegal to hire them.) He's otherwise a good candidate in my view, but civil liberties violations trip me up big time. I don't know that I would vote for him unless his opponent was even more stifling. Which sucks because I think of the current Republican field, he stands the best chance in a general election.

I suppose my Libertarian mind can't reconcile how most of the Republican field can go on and on about economic freedom but crack down on technological freedom. Especially when the economy is so dependent upon technology. Where is the disconnect? Rhetorical. I know. Anything goes in the name of "national security" to most elephants, even if there's no proof that it's really making anyone more secure.

@Dragline, LOL.

Edit: Everyone here is now freaking out about Boehner's resignation. I've received 2 texts so far and the news just broke a few minutes ago.

Chad

Post by Chad »

GandK wrote: Edit: Everyone here is now freaking out about Boehner's resignation. I've received 2 texts so far and the news just broke a few minutes ago.
Really not surprising. I wouldn't want to heard those cats or try to manage this transition in the Republican party, as it cold easily turn into the destruction of the party.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

This is the first I heard about Boehner's resignation. My first thought after reading GandK's post was that it was related to the Pope, and I guess it was but I still don't know what specifically happened.

GandK

Post by GandK »

enigmaT120 wrote:This is the first I heard about Boehner's resignation. My first thought after reading GandK's post was that it was related to the Pope, and I guess it was but I still don't know what specifically happened.
Well, he's a Catholic. And he apparently wept throughout the Pope's address to Congress. No one was surprised by that; Boehner cries quite a bit, he's famous for it. The chatter seems to be (as @Chad indicated above) that he's been miserable for a while, and the pontiff's speech drove home the point that, although he may not be in control of Congress, he is fully in control of his own life and happiness.

I'm certain I'd be shouted down for saying this in public, but I'm happy for him. We (this district) need a Congressman who actually wants to be there on our behalf more than we need that Congressman to be Speaker. And he will be a more effective human being living out his values as a private citizen than acting out someone else's values in the Capitol.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »