The "clerisy" class

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

The "clerisy" class

Post by jacob »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... /15249645/

If you're reading this [here], it's somewhat likely that you're part of it(?)

What you don't know...

Dragline

Re: The "clerisy" class

Post by Dragline »

Sounds like a warmed-over version of elite theory:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_theory

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_Elite for a more famous version

I think this is a very convenient theory for blaming people you don't like or agree with for society's problems. At its best, it does try to model or understand power relationships. At its worst, it just degenerates into conspiracy theories. What's funny about it is how it always seems to change to match the rhetoric and goals of the speaker -- i.e., its always slightly different groupings that get blamed.

Clerisy rhymes with heresy -- got to be some Illuminati in there somewhere. ;-)

chenda

Post by chenda »

Its hardly a 'new' model, its been around for centuries.

Ego

Post by Ego »

There is some truth to the last part about new occupational regulations causing barriers to entry.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Ego - That was my take-away. Having bought a house with the expectation of being the king of my own domain and no longer having to ask anyone for permission, I was surprised to learn that I still have to ask the city---where by ask I mean pay somewhere between $50 and $300 in permit fees---for practically any modification to my house and that several of them, even trivial things like removing an electric outlet, requires a licensed professional by law. To be fair, permits are free insofar I do my own work (restricted) at a value totaling no more than $700/year, as well, requiring a pro does save some of the dumber homeowners from building firetraps, etc. Still, the point remains that even if you [can] do a job that's a good as or better than a professional (and having paid for a few so far I'd have to say... yes, I can do that), you're not allowed to because you don't have a license. This kind of trade-barrier does indeed establish a two-tiered system.

Another issue is the fact that fines for "trivial" matters (the kind of matters that are at the discretion of the individual enforcer) are simply noise/inconveniences for the "clerisy" whereas for the poor, a $500 fine means a major life disruption which is brought about as a cascade of unpaid parking tickets -> arrest warrant -> jail time (inability to get bail) while waiting weeks for the parking ticket to get to court -> loss of education, income, etc. in the present and future.

This is the kind of thing that worries me because it creates a risky environment. As far as I understand the Ferguson incident, the actual guy who got shot by police was actually a bad guy (<- reason why the media is suddenly so quiet about it ... it turned out not to fit their narrative) but the reason the situation exploded was because too many people had experienced the above paragraph.

Going back to the licenses... people who can't afford a $75 parking ticket can't afford the $100 electrician that's required to install a light dimmer either ... so they do it themselves... with chewing gum and duct tape.

And going back to my original point. Us clerisal people are largely ignorant of the existence or at least totally unable to relate to them. This means we don't consider what they might do (Ferguson) when we create our self-serving (we're the ones who vote) policies.

I don't know what the solution to this problem is, but I do know what the risk is.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yeah, it is challenging to become a jack of all trades, master of none when you are unable to teach yourself through trial and error.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

No, it's challenging to BE one when regulations require a professional for no other reason than to protect the clerisy/professionals.

Ego

Post by Ego »

You might look at it as an opportunity to play in the gray zone, which is itself a jack-of-all-trades skill. New (non-Northern-European) immigrants can help to remodel a person's perspective on rule-following. They hang out around The Home Depot and have plenty of time to talk.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I guess I would classify as semi-Bohemian-merchant-to-the-clerisy/oligarchy. Thing I have repeatedly noted is that when two members of the clerisy mate roughly half their offspring will turn out Bohemian artist or crafts-person type.

I once knocked down a hideous 1930s faux-stone wall surrounding the front porch of an 1865 house located on the main drag in a historic district without getting the required permit/permission and instead of being fined I received a letter of commendation from the historical committee. Anyways, I think many people take the likelihood of being fined into their calculation for this sort of thing. Urban landlords are held to the highest standard whereas rural householder can get away with much more.

anomie

Post by anomie »

But the most important question -- Have they got a 27B stroke 6?

Brazil (4/10) Movie CLIP - Central Services Pays a Visit (1985) HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B61_5sRoBI

:P :) :) :)

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

The oligarchs are assisted in their control by what Kotkin calls the "clerisy" class — an amalgam of academics, media and government employees who play the role that medieval clergy once played in legitimizing the powerful, and in implementing their policies while quelling resistance from the masses.
"Implementing their policies while quelling resistance from the masses" could literally be my job description. :lol:

Felix

Post by Felix »