Global Population Issues

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
white belt

Re: Global Population Issues

Post by white belt »

I'm guessing the COVID19 pandemic will not cause sufficient death to affect any of the Global Population issues long term? According to the WHO, we are coming up on 1 million reported deaths globally. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the 7.8 billion global population.

However, since the vast majority of COVID deaths seem to be with folks over the age of 40 who have already passed their reproduction window, I wouldn't think it would slow global population growth except perhaps in the very short term.

There are still the unknowns about treatments, vaccination, mutations, etc.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

14 pages of discussion and no mention of Hans Rosling? His argument is population growth stabilizes as a country goes from agricultural to industrial. This is due to mortality falling and it takes atleast one generation for the effect of lowered mortality to be reflected in population growth.
Last edited by fiby41 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

white belt wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 pm
I'm guessing the COVID19 pandemic will not cause sufficient death to affect any of the Global Population issues long term?
One additional person on earth dying every second wouldn't stop population growth.

That would be some 31 million people dying per year. The number of seconds in a year is roughly pi times (ten to the seventh).

So yeah, it's not doing a lot to make the planet less crowded. You're sure as hell not seeing, say, houses getting cheaper.